HTML/Rich Text Article Entries?

Is there a way I can modify Articles’ configuration so that they may feature HTML/Rich-Text/Images, same as tickets? It seems custom fields is the ticket, but all Wiki articles I’ve scoured on the subject wind up breaking RT https://rt-wiki.bestpractical.com/wiki/Main_Page .

I’m running RT 4.4 on an Ubuntu 16.10 box.

Sincerely,

Aaron Lush

Network Administrator

South Central Community School Corporation

(219) 767-2266 ext. 1111

Email Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may
not use, disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information. Please
reply and notify the sender, delete the message and any attachments and
destroy all copies.

So this Rich Text Custom Fields - Request Tracker Wiki doesn’t work in RT 4.4?From: rt-users [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Aaron Lush
Sent: Wednesday, 11 January 2017 7:01 AM
To: ‘rt-users’ rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] HTML/Rich Text Article Entries?

Is there a way I can modify Articles’ configuration so that they may feature HTML/Rich-Text/Images, same as tickets? It seems custom fields is the ticket, but all Wiki articles I’ve scoured on the subject wind up breaking RT https://rt-wiki.bestpractical.com/wiki/Main_Page .

Sincerely,

Aaron Lush

Network Administrator

(219) 767-2266 ext. 1111

Email Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information. Please reply and notify the sender, delete the message and any attachments and destroy all copies.

Don’t rule out that I did something incorrectly, but, no, this did nothing to the Article WikiText Custom Field. I followed everything listed under “Convert Wiki Text CF into a Rich Text CF.”

On a sidenote, the thing that I thought funny is the code “%# — Wiki Text Area ==> Rich Text Area —.” Doesn’t the hash mark after the percent sign indicate a comment and to bypass the code? Granted, I’m no PERL programmer, so keep that in mind .

Sincerely,

Aaron Lush

Network Administrator

(219) 767-2266 ext. 1111From: rt-users [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Brett Chambers
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:53 PM
To: ‘rt-users’ rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] HTML/Rich Text Article Entries?

So this Rich Text Custom Fields - Request Tracker Wiki doesn’t work in RT 4.4?

From: rt-users [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Aaron Lush
To: ‘rt-users’ <rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com mailto:rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com >

Sincerely,

Aaron Lush

Network Administrator

(219) 767-2266 ext. 1111

Email Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information. Please reply and notify the sender, delete the message and any attachments and destroy all copies.

Email Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may
not use, disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information. Please
reply and notify the sender, delete the message and any attachments and
destroy all copies.

Hi,

I was just asking because I was interested in upgrading to 4.4 – I’ll need to investigate that carefully on a test system by the sounds of it as am using that in 4.2.

The # char at the beginning of a line is for comment (provided it’s not in the very first line http://people.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/~tickle/notes/comments.html), so that code is valid and not a comment.

Regards,

BrettFrom: Aaron Lush [mailto:alush@scentral.k12.in.us]
Sent: Friday, 13 January 2017 1:15 AM
To: ‘Brett Chambers’ bchambers@ambertech.com.au; ‘rt-users’ rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: RE: [rt-users] HTML/Rich Text Article Entries?

Don’t rule out that I did something incorrectly, but, no, this did nothing to the Article WikiText Custom Field. I followed everything listed under “Convert Wiki Text CF into a Rich Text CF.”

On a sidenote, the thing that I thought funny is the code “%# — Wiki Text Area ==> Rich Text Area —.” Doesn’t the hash mark after the percent sign indicate a comment and to bypass the code? Granted, I’m no PERL programmer, so keep that in mind .

Sincerely,

Aaron Lush

Network Administrator

(219) 767-2266 ext. 1111

From: rt-users [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Brett Chambers
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:53 PM
To: ‘rt-users’ <rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com mailto:rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com >
Subject: Re: [rt-users] HTML/Rich Text Article Entries?

So this Rich Text Custom Fields - Request Tracker Wiki doesn’t work in RT 4.4?

From: rt-users [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Aaron Lush

Sincerely,

Aaron Lush

Network Administrator

(219) 767-2266 ext. 1111

You are absolutely correct. The line –

IS a COMMENT. There is supposed to be a line below that but the page formatting made it go away. I found it by looking at the source code of the page. The line AFTER the comment that makes it WORK is …
%# — Wiki Text Area ==> Rich Text Area —
< script type=“text/javascript”>CKEDITOR.replace( ‘<%$name%>’,{ width: ‘100%’, height: RT.Config.MessageBoxRichTextHeight });< /script>

REMOVE the extra space before script and /script. I had to add the space so the code will show up correctly in the post.

Isn’t it about time that this became a standard feature in RT? We (and i’m sure a lot of other users of RT) would love to be able to send out HTML-formatted mails out for our customer communications, and with templates we can already apply some basic markup and a nice looking signature. In the body of the messages we compose on the fly we can also already do it with the WYSIWYG-editor, but when using articles there’s no such option (unless of course you use the above modification, but that can give issues when updating).

2 Likes

Hello, Googlers: the above page, and the fixed code provided by CyberRanger, won’t change the fact that Articles get dumped into tickets or emails or replies as plaintext.

From the article, buried near the end:

“It loses formatting when inporting the content of a Article page into a ticket. e.g. default e-mails, instructions, etc.”

Oooookay. Anyond found a way around this?

Hello again Googlers: This feature is in the 4.4.4 beta2, found here -

https://forum.bestpractical.com/t/rt-4-4-4-beta-2-now-available/33651/2

“Add option to disable escaping HTML in articles (I#32374).”

Too old for me to edit previous reply, heh. Thanks to BP for giving us this option. Updating this thread 'coz I just checked, and it’s still high on the list of results returned when searching for these terms (“request tracker format articles tickets” and similar combos).

1 Like

This option doesn’t actually help the problem at all, as far as I can see?

It’s misnamed, for one thing, because it doesn’t disable the escaping of HTML, it disables the rendering of HTML. So if your article contains:
make this <strong>bold</strong>
without the option it inserts into your ticket:
make this strong
and with the option it inserts:
make this &lt;strong&gt;bold&lt;/strong&gt;

So far I don’t see any way to allow text formatting from an article into a ticket other than overriding Articles/Element/IncludeArticle to remove the actual escaping done there

not exactly sure this is what the original post was asking for, but my solution is here: Preserve formatting when inserting articles