Upgrade Path: 3.6.5 -> 3.8.1

We are thinking of upgrading from 3.6.5 → 3.8.1. We use Jim Meyer’s
User_Local.pm overlay for LDAP authentication to Active Directory. It
is currently running on CentOS 5.2.

I wondered if some of you would be able to provide some insights into
this upgrade? Anyone written a comprehensive whitepaper for doing it?

Thanks for your help!

Mario A. Leal, Jr.

Senior Systems Analyst

Huston-Tillotson University

900 Chicon Street

Austin, TX 78702-2795

512.505.3009 (o)

512.505.3190 (f)

maleal@htu.edu mailto:maleal@htu.edu

Hear a beautiful rendition of The Star Spangled Banner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284

Mario,
We recently moved to CentOS 5.2 from 3.6.3 on a Debian box. I have to say you can probably safely use the included upgrade documents to perform it smoothly. The BP guys have made big strides in their documentation (no offense on previous versions guys :). Follow up the upgrade for RT, then the MySQL updates (VERY important). Jim’s overlay will NOT work in 3.8.1. Use Mike Peachy’s ExternalAuth, works very well and very easy to install. I wrote a fairly detailed explanation on how I got it to work (I too like comprehensive instructions) here:

The big question mark is whether you used yum for the existing install, or if it was installed from source (I’ve found from source is easier since it keeps everything in the “default” locations).

HelmuthFrom: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com on behalf of Leal, Mario A.
Sent: Wed 8/27/2008 5:25 PM
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] Upgrade Path: 3.6.5 → 3.8.1

We are thinking of upgrading from 3.6.5 → 3.8.1. We use Jim Meyer’s User_Local.pm overlay for LDAP authentication to Active Directory. It is currently running on CentOS 5.2.

I wondered if some of you would be able to provide some insights into this upgrade? Anyone written a comprehensive whitepaper for doing it?

Thanks for your help!

Mario A. Leal, Jr.

Senior Systems Analyst

Huston-Tillotson University

900 Chicon Street

Austin, TX 78702-2795

512.505.3009 (o)

512.505.3190 (f)

maleal@htu.edu mailto:maleal@htu.edu

Hear a beautiful rendition of The Star Spangled Banner:

The Cactus Cuties sing The National Anthem Original Video - YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284