Update with domain change

I have an instance of RT that has been in use since 2010. I am currently on 4.4.2

The company is changing name. That means a new domain name. I have read a number of threads about changing the domain name, all of them very old. From what I am reading it should be OK essentially to change RT_SiteConfig.pm

I am of a mind to both change the domain name and upgrade to 5.0.4

What would be the recommended approach? Should I attempt to change the domain name, then perform an upgrade or should I install a fresh instance of 5.0.4 and try and import my data?

I am of a mind that I should try the domain name change in a sandbox, if it works apply that to production, then do the upgrade to 5.0.4.

I am keen to hear thoughts on the best approach and any caveats I should be aware of.

warm regards

Paul

I donā€™t know about the rest because thatā€™s not something weā€™ve ever had to tackle here, but Iā€™d definitely recommend trying it out in a test sandbox install first. Very sensible.

Are you looking to change $WebDomain or are you talking about $Organization?

Thanks for this. I do appreciate the help.

I am going to say this out loud, because I am the one who initially set up RT for the company, and I have taken a lot of ā€œflakā€ for the choice of RT over the years, (we can talk about why in another thread if anyone is interested) but RT is so insanely stable and reliable that it has ā€œjust workedā€ for over a decade with so little attention paid it that I literally forget what I have done. The few occasions I had an issue were always my fault. So now it is time to change names and I have to learn it all again. Please bear with me. :slight_smile:

Conceptually I think I wanted to change $Organization, until I looked at the docs and saw:

ā€¦ Changing it after you have created tickets in the system will break all existing ticket links!

How can I keep my ticket integrity while changing? Is that even possible? We will maintain the old domain name for redirects etc.

Perhaps I am over thinking this and should only change the #$WebDomain and #$CorrespondAddress , $CommentAddress so that clients see the new name when they correspond, but leave #$Organization unchanged.

Is that a valid approach? Are there other things that would be client facing that would need to reflect the business name change? Now you have me thinking this through better - maybe it is a simpler change than I thought. We do not allow clients to access the Web UI - it is email only for clients

It really comes down to what you are after. weā€™re actually going to be moving our RT install up to the cloud by end of the year so we have to do a little of this ourselves. This is my opinion:

The $WebDomain is safe to change if you want. This is just what the URL is to access the system via the web GUI.

The $Organization is more about ā€˜brandingā€™. This you cannot change without making some changes to the database data itself. I recall there being either a piece of code or something you had to run if you did want to change the $ORganization but I canā€™t find it. :frowning:

Thanks @Cena_Stephen_ext_300 you have convinced me.

I shall not open the can of worms that would be changing #$Organization

1 Like