RT has been working fine since I did the install about six months ago.
I installed 3.4.2 with Pg. Initially, Pg was 8.0.x with an update to
8.1.x a few weeks ago. There are a few users and tickets. Response
time has been fine. Some tickets are rather long with lots of
attachments, but response time is no big problem.
This morning, I updated to 3.4.4 and the installation is no longer
usable. It may eventually display a screen. I am not sure.
Searching back through the mailing list, I saw some questions about Pg
query response time. So I turned on some debugging for SQL and
restarted Pg. The log is attached. I had to gzip it since it was over
40Kb in size.
P.S. I just tried 3.4.5rc2 and it is better, but the screens do not
completely load. Only the top portion is displayed soon with the
remainder of the screen taking a very long time or never.
postgresql.log.tar.gz (2.62 KB)