Understanding a few concepts

Hello all, i finally managed to install RT using the Centos 7 guide in the wiki (the best installation guide I’ve seen so far).

I’m trying to compare RT with SuiteCRM. We’ve been using SuiteCRM as our to ticketing system for a while and it has been pretty great except just a few things that we wish we could change. So we’re giving RT a try.

I hope some of you can answer a few questions that we have.

1. How can we keep a list of clients that we associate tickets with? For example in SuiteCRM you can just go to the client and see all the tickets that were opened and closed for that client. How do we sort tickets by clients in RT? Are they just all going to be one pile?

2. Why can i not see unprivileged users in the users list.

3. Is there a quick update window? It seems like you need to make a few clicks to find a regular update ticket window. Comment or reply don’t really make sense for a regular ticketing system.

4. Is there a way to customize email templates to make nice custom emails? They look very generic. In SuiteCRM you can make really nice custom email templates using different fonts and including graphics.

5. What’s the best way to use the queues for? Should it be used to differentiate between ticket types like On Site Dispatch Ticket and Remote Support Ticket etc. What are the queues typically used for in RT?

Can anyone help? ------

Hi, let’s see if I can help you.

opened and closed for that client. How do we sort tickets by clients in RT? Are they just all going to be one pile?

In RT you can customize you home page including new sections based on saved searches. If you go to Search → Tickets → New search you’ll see that you can compose a search with the fields you need in the order that you prefer. You can have as many saved searches as you want on the home page.

Why can i not see unprivileged users in the users list.

That is RT’s default. After all, since RT records every user that has ever sent an email to the ticketing system, you’d soon have an unmanageable list of users, while all you really need is privileged users. Remember that if you search users you also get unprivileged ones.

Imagine having the full list of users when you connect RT to AD/LDAP in an enterprise environment… I think you don’t want to see all users.

Is there a quick update window? It seems like you need to make a few clicks to find a regular update ticket window. Comment or reply don’t really make

sense for a regular ticketing system.

Tools → My Day ?

Never used it though. I find that in our scenario comment and reply really makes sense.

Is there a way to customize email templates to make nice custom emails? They look very generic. In SuiteCRM you can make really nice custom email

templates using different fonts and including graphics.

Admin → Global → Templates

What’s the best way to use the queues for? Should it be used to differentiate between ticket types like On Site Dispatch Ticket and Remote Support

Ticket etc. What are the queues typically used for in RT?

We use queues to separate tickets among different Organizational Units. Some OUs also have more than one queue because they have different sub-units.

Hope this helps!!

Bye

Cris

Thanks a lot for this information Cris, I appreciate it.

Just a few follow up questions.

I got a hang of the user search and see all the tickets for the user. Still think having a separate list for just the clients, not all random users but the clients that you work regularly with would be great. And names of the business in the list, not just individual people. We work with businesses, and I found it’s the best to just have all the businesses in the list, you click on the business, and there you have a few people that request from that business. Maybe there is a work around for that it RT?

The comment and reply actually work okay.

Is there a way to customize html templates without having to learn html code? I tried editing in the online html editor where it shows you the result right away, but when i try to use that code in RT, it won’t even send that email anymore. Only sends emails with build in html codes. How can I modify templates?

You can create groups for each business and then assign users to these groups based on which business they are a member of. This is nice because you can then give rights based on group on each Queue Admin->Queues->General->Group rights.