Truncated mail attachments

Hi again,

I’m back on RT stuff for a few days it seems, I’ve just upgraded our
install to 3.0.5 and happy to see improvements in the searching and
stuff, however we are still having problems with email attachments.

please let me know if this has already been addressed or discussed, i’ve
been on this list for a while now and not seen it but we all miss stuff
from time to time…

what i’ve found so far:
during a capture of traffic from rt-mailgate to the REST thing in the
website, i noticed that the content-length is fine (just over 1meg on
this) but the REST server responds with its 200 mid-stream…
if i open a dumb listener on 80 and re-send, mailgate does send the
entire message, so problem seems to be REST server side?

the attachment generally turns out at around 4k and is not very usable

attachments from the web pages work just fine (up to 750k long worked fine)

I know we’ve a few customisations on our RT here, generally nothing more
than the display-level stuff (web page customisations, brief tampering
with parts of the rendering code) but i dont believe we have anything
that should have caused this, i’ve never been that far down into RT’s
guts before…

so, anyone else have these kind of problems? anyone got any suggestions
on what i should try, advice, etc? have i just missed a very obvious
setting somewhere :open_mouth: ?

Thanks,

Iain

Whose modperl build are you using? I’ve heard of broken modperls that
truncate inbound requests.On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:55:34PM +0100, Iain Price wrote:

Hi again,

I’m back on RT stuff for a few days it seems, I’ve just upgraded our
install to 3.0.5 and happy to see improvements in the searching and
stuff, however we are still having problems with email attachments.

please let me know if this has already been addressed or discussed, i’ve
been on this list for a while now and not seen it but we all miss stuff
from time to time…

what i’ve found so far:
during a capture of traffic from rt-mailgate to the REST thing in the
website, i noticed that the content-length is fine (just over 1meg on
this) but the REST server responds with its 200 mid-stream…
if i open a dumb listener on 80 and re-send, mailgate does send the
entire message, so problem seems to be REST server side?

the attachment generally turns out at around 4k and is not very usable

attachments from the web pages work just fine (up to 750k long worked fine)

I know we’ve a few customisations on our RT here, generally nothing more
than the display-level stuff (web page customisations, brief tampering
with parts of the rendering code) but i dont believe we have anything
that should have caused this, i’ve never been that far down into RT’s
guts before…

so, anyone else have these kind of problems? anyone got any suggestions
on what i should try, advice, etc? have i just missed a very obvious
setting somewhere :open_mouth: ?

Thanks,

Iain


rt-devel mailing list
rt-devel@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-devel

http://www.bestpractical.com/rt – Trouble Ticketing. Free.

Jesse Vincent wrote:

Whose modperl build are you using? I’ve heard of broken modperls that
truncate inbound requests.

1.99_05-3 (redhat package name), which i think is a modperl 2? bit out
of it on this one but the more i delve into this i was already coming to
this conclusion… the args that RT gets are already too small so the
truncation is in mason or earlier :stuck_out_tongue:

apache version 2.0.40 - its a patched up redhat 9 box

Iain

1.99_05-3 (redhat package name), which i think is a modperl 2? bit out
of it on this one but the more i delve into this i was already coming to
this conclusion… the args that RT gets are already too small so the
truncation is in mason or earlier :stuck_out_tongue:

Right. That’s an ancient snapshot of a moving target. I’d recommend
that as the first thing to fix.

apache version 2.0.40 - its a patched up redhat 9 box

Iain

http://www.bestpractical.com/rt – Trouble Ticketing. Free.

Jesse Vincent wrote:

1.99_05-3 (redhat package name), which i think is a modperl 2? bit out
of it on this one but the more i delve into this i was already coming to
this conclusion… the args that RT gets are already too small so the
truncation is in mason or earlier :stuck_out_tongue:

Right. That’s an ancient snapshot of a moving target. I’d recommend
that as the first thing to fix.

Ok, i stuck an axe in it and put apache 2.0.47 on there with modperl
1.99_10 which is the latest, seem to have the same problems still…
since i’m gutting things i’ll try an apache 1.3 setup on here

iain

Iain Price wrote:

Ok, i stuck an axe in it and put apache 2.0.47 on there with modperl
1.99_10 which is the latest, seem to have the same problems still…
since i’m gutting things i’ll try an apache 1.3 setup on here

iain

Ok, i spent a while trying to recompile redhat 7.2 SRPMS for apache 1.3
etc for redhat 9 and well, got it working eventually but then things
barfed saying the ‘message’ parameters wasn’t getting there at all (!)
so i gave up on that and cleaned down all the apaches and reinstalled
1.3.27 and mod_perl 1.26 manually from source… I think this has
done the trick - i was getting a ‘timeout’ uploading the 750k attachment
from the cmd line directly (although it succeeded) and from emails it
seems to transparently work… I have users complaining about some
things like getting logged out and stuff but i’ve been unable to
replicate this so far and am not convinved of their problems yet :slight_smile:

But it certainly seems there is some issue regarding mod_perl 2 even on
the latest builds truncating things :frowning: i should probably RTFM for
mod_perl :P…

I’ve another report to file but i’ll do it under a separate thread …
you must love it when i come back to RT in my work cycle hehe

Thanks for the suggestion, i’ll follow up if anything more interesting
arises :stuck_out_tongue:

Iain