RT5 Installation Issue: Read-only file system error

I’ve been following the manual installation on the wiki (ManualInstallation - Request Tracker Wiki) with the only deviations being to how I set ./configure . The rt-server.service starts fine, but when I go to the RT page in my browser it shows a white page with nothing but “An internal RT error has occurred. Your administrator can find more details in RT’s log files.”
Looking at journal -xe and the status of rt-server.service it shows it went into a Failed state with the following error:

[4199] mkdir /opt/rt5/var/mason_data/obj/3642352085: Read-only file system at /usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Compiler/ToObject.pm line 112.

Stack:
                                                             [/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Carp.pm:167]
                                                             [/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/File/Path.pm:239]
                                                             [/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/File/Path.pm:195]
                                                             [/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/File/Path.pm:173]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Compiler/ToObject.pm:112]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Interp.pm:437]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Request.pm:250]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Request.pm:212]
                                                             [/opt/rt5/sbin/../lib/RT/Interface/Web/Request.pm:63]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/Class/Container.pm:275]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/Class/Container.pm:353]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Interp.pm:348]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Interp.pm:342]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/PSGIHandler.pm:59]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/PSGIHandler/Streamy.pm:52]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/Plack/Util.pm:339]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/Plack/Util.pm:339]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/Plack/Handler/FCGI.pm:149]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/Plack/Loader.pm:84]
                                                             [/usr/local/share/perl5/Plack/Runner.pm:279]
                                                             [/opt/rt5/sbin/../lib/RT/PlackRunner.pm:150]
                                                             [/opt/rt5/sbin/rt-server.fcgi:162]

This is for RT5 on RHEL 8.6, all packages latest version, using Apache 2.4, MariaDB, 10.3, SELinux is set to Permissive (i.e. does nothing but log).

What I’ve done so far to troubleshoot:

1. Rebooted the server
  2. Confirmed the system is in fact not in Read-Only (touch a file in /opt/rt5/var/mason_data/obj/ and in parent directories).
  3. Confirmed disk space is available
  4. Permissions are as RT set them with make fixperms (see for obj and it’s parent dir):
    drwxrwx—. 2 apache rt 4096 Sep 21 10:41 obj
    drwxrwx—. 5 apache rt 4096 Sep 20 16:02 mason_data
  5. Re-ran make fixperms

I found what seems to be someone else with the same issue but without a resolution a few weeks ago: RT5 Installation Error: Read-only file system Stack - #4 by zanga

Please check my update from August 24 in my thread. It describes the workaround. I am now able to at least fire up the RT service and browse to it for testing and development purposes while we try it out in our organisation and make a decision for the future!

Yes I saw that post about starting the standalone server on 8080 but that isn’t a solution for me. I need RT working fully as intended for production.

Ends up my issue was due to the apache vhosts I created had conflicting info. Not sure how that ended up with a Read-Only error but it works now.