RT4 under Debian 9 returns 404

Recently upgraded to Debian 9. Access to RT stopped working, 404 error. No errors in Apache error.log.

Other web services that work on this server include the Apache Manual, MediaWiki, Debian Documentation, ‘info2www’, and phpmyadmin.

I have /etc/apache2.conf.d/rt4.conf which has “Include /etc/request-tracker4/apache2-fastcgi.conf”. I have modified “/etc/request-tracker4/apache2-fastcgi.conf” as distributed with Debian 9 to match the name we use (“rt4” instead of “rt”).

If I create a symbolic link in /var/www (desparate hacking around…):
rt4 -> /usr/share/request-tracker4/html/

then I receive this message: “You’re almost there! You haven’t yet configured your webserver to run RT. You appear to have installed RT’s web interface correctly, but haven’t yet configured your web server to “run” the RT server which powers the web interface. The next step is to edit your webserver’s configuration file to instruct it to use RT’s mod_perl or FastCGI handler.”

Except I have done that. It seems like there must be some small magic I am missing. Pointers to appropriate debian-specific documentation cheerfully accepted. Thanks.

What worked for me: A new installation on a test system using fcgid, which became a working example.

Then abandon fastcgi for fcgid, and carefully follow the working example for configuration changes.

Good luck.

1 Like