RT3.0.3 Could not find or create that user

There are two places in RT3.0.3 where the behavior with regard to
finding new Watchers by email address has (apparently) changed.

1. assignments in the People tab of an open ticket
2. create a ticket on the web, particularly when
	using my own login

I’m logged into RT as a privileged user.

I create a ticket in a Queue I have rights on.

My Ticket creation page automatically fills in my email address.

When I finish and click ‘Submit’ I see in the status at the top

"Could not find or create that user"

And my ticket’s Watchers is empty.

I installed RT3.0.3 this weekend (new installation, patched in some
share/html/Elements changes to the UI but nothing that would make me
think this should be affected). The new install is running on mysql
4.0.13, with all the perl modules pulled down this weekend (so fairly
current).

This particular problem didn’t occur in 3.0.1 (which was on mysql
3.23.x, with perl modules from ~ 6 months ago).

Anyone seen this problem before? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

[ httpd log entries related to this:

[Mon Jun 30 22:52:21 2003] [crit]: Failed to create user
mrice@dmotorworks.com:
Name in use (/usr/local/rt3.0.3/lib/RT/User_Overlay.pm:595)
[Mon Jun 30 22:52:21 2003] [error]: Could not load create a user with
the email
address ‘mrice@dmotorworks.com’ to add as a watcher for ticket 3635
(/usr/local/rt3.0.3/lib/RT/Ticket_Overlay.pm:1420)

[Mon Jun 30 22:59:03 2003] [crit]: Failed to create user mrice: Name in
use (/usr/local/rt3.0.3/lib/RT/User_Overlay.pm:595)
[Mon Jun 30 22:59:03 2003] [error]: Could not load create a user with
the email
address ‘mrice’ to add as a watcher for ticket 3633
(/usr/local/rt3.0.3/lib/RT/Ticket_Overlay.pm:1420)

As an update,

I modified my RT_SiteConfig.pm with a new database, a new username, and
a new password (same host).

I then re-ran make initialize-database.
logged in as root
changed root password
created mrice user
created techsupport queue
created IT group
put mrice in IT group
granted IT privs on techsupport queue
(CommentOnTicket, CreateTicket, DeleteTicket, ModifyTicket,
OwnTicket, ReplyToTicket,SeeQueue, ShowTicket,
ShowTicketComments, StealTicket, TakeTicket, Watch,
WatchAsAdminCc)
logged in as mrice
create ticket in 'techsupport’
subject: test
submit

On review the Requestor email was ‘dmotorworks.com’. The bit in the
fied of the create ticket window was ‘mrice@dmotorworks.com’.

On review of the database I found that it had created a new user instead
of using the user I was logged in as:

mysql> select * from Users where EmailAddress = ‘dmotorworks.com’\G
*************************** 1. row ***************************
id: 29
Name: mrice@dmotorworks.com
Password: NO-PASSWORD
Comments: Autocreated when added as a watcher
Signature: NULL
EmailAddress: dmotorworks.com
FreeformContactInfo: NULL
Organization: NULL
RealName: mrice@dmotorworks.com
NickName: NULL
Lang: NULL
EmailEncoding: NULL
WebEncoding: NULL
ExternalContactInfoId: NULL
ContactInfoSystem: NULL
ExternalAuthId: NULL
AuthSystem: NULL
Gecos: NULL
HomePhone: NULL
WorkPhone: NULL
MobilePhone: NULL
PagerPhone: NULL
Address1: NULL
Address2: NULL
City: NULL
State: NULL
Zip: NULL
Country: NULL
Timezone: NULL
PGPKey: NULL
Creator: 1
Created: 2003-07-02 13:21:14
LastUpdatedBy: 1
LastUpdated: 2003-07-02 13:21:14
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Have I shown a problem with RT or some other perl bit? Anyone else see
this behavior? Thanks for your feedback.

Michael Rice wrote:

On review the Requestor email was ‘dmotorworks.com’. The bit in the
fied of the create ticket window was ‘mrice@dmotorworks.com’.

On review of the database I found that it had created a new user instead
of using the user I was logged in as:

Do you have CanonicalizeEmailAddressMatch and/or
CanonicalizeEmailAddressReplace defined in your config, or
have you overridden the IsRTAddress() sub at all?

Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, http://www.SnapGear.com
pdh@snapgear.com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630
SnapGear - Custom Embedded Solutions and Security Appliances

Phil Homewood wrote:

Do you have CanonicalizeEmailAddressMatch and/or
CanonicalizeEmailAddressReplace defined in your config, or
have you overridden the IsRTAddress() sub at all?

Oops, I mean CanonicalizeEmailAddress(), not IsRTAddress().
Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, http://www.SnapGear.com
pdh@snapgear.com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630
SnapGear - Custom Embedded Solutions and Security Appliances

Phil Homewood wrote:

Michael Rice wrote:

On review the Requestor email was ‘dmotorworks.com’. The bit in the
fied of the create ticket window was ‘mrice@dmotorworks.com’.

On review of the database I found that it had created a new user instead
of using the user I was logged in as:

Do you have CanonicalizeEmailAddressMatch and/or
CanonicalizeEmailAddressReplace defined in your config, or
have you overridden the IsRTAddress() sub at all?

Phil, thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, I didn’t see
your replies in my mail, I was just browsing the archives and found them.

To answer your questions, I have not overridden CanonicalizeEmailAddress() nor
IsRTAddress().

I DO use $CanonicalizeEmailAddress* like this:

Set($CanonicalizeEmailAddressMatch , ‘\w+.dmotorworks.com$’);
Set($CanonicalizeEmailAddressReplace , ‘dmotorworks.com’);

Michael Rice wrote:

Set($CanonicalizeEmailAddressMatch , ‘\w+.dmotorworks.com$’);
Set($CanonicalizeEmailAddressReplace , ‘dmotorworks.com’);

So, you’re replacing any occurrences of “word” characters, followed
by any character, followed by “dmotorworks”, any char, and "com"
at the end, with “dmotorworks.com”.

"mrice@dmotorworks.com" matches that just nicely…

Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, http://www.SnapGear.com
pdh@snapgear.com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630
SnapGear - Custom Embedded Solutions and Security Appliances