A common failing is understanding that unix like systems are not
originally single-user boxes. That means that just because your box has
X amount of resource it does not mean that any single process can use
that much resource. In particular, check the memory resource limits of
your process that is running the export.
No such luck. The machine is a test box… Aside from the usual
suspects (sshd, syslog, etc), the only things running on the machine
were mysql and the script. There are no ulimits set up for users.
I’m not sure if the kernel is using the Linux default 3G/1G
userspace/kernel split or 4G/4G, but the process had topped 2.5G when I
went home… When I got home and checked, the process had aborted with
the message “Out of memory!”
Anyhow, did your export get any tickets out or did it die while
exporting the other info like users list and configs?
Nope… looks like it was still loading stuff for the metadata file.
I’ve found that it helps to purge the user list of owners who do not own
any tickets (be sure not to delete the root user, or any privileged
user). You can do this with a left join on the tickets table on the
owner id. I do this after purging dead tickets (we get a boatload of
spam to our abuse@ queue).
That’s my next step before I start modifying the script… I’ve written
a script that looks for dead tickets, removes them and prunes any orphan
transactions, attachments, users, keyword objects, links, etc, etc.
Unfortunately, we have a huge number of perfectly legitimate users…
Robert Loomans, Programmer/Analyst firstname.lastname@example.org
Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) Tel: +61-7-3858-3100
http://www.apnic.net Fax: +61-7-3858-3199
smime.p7s (3.67 KB)