Rt upgrade options

I have an RT system built years ago. It is working fine on 4.4.4 running on Ubuntu 18.04. I’m trying to figure out how to upgrade to 5.0.1. I ran the upgrade script on a clone test of production and was successful. However, the database upgrade failed. It is a password issue, but noticed it is trying to use rt_user though the database shows rtuser. Don’t know if that was changed during the install or if years ago rtuser was being used as default and later changed to rt_user. At any rate, not sure if it is worth trying to fix that (or change the script) to make the database upgrade work, or to build a new server with a clean install of RT and import/upgrade the database. thoughts?

You should be able to use any username for the database access. Are you sure its picking up the right config files? For example if your RT 4.4.4 was installed in /opt/rt4 and the new one is in /opt/rt5, you’ll need to copy your /opt/rt4/local/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm across to the new hierarchy.

yes, the 4.4.4 config file has this…

Set($DatabaseUser, “rt_user”);

the 5.0.1 file it created has the same thing

database shows this…

mysql> SELECT User, Host FROM mysql.user;
±-----------------±----------+
| User | Host |
| debian-sys-maint | localhost |
| mysql.session | localhost |
| mysql.sys | localhost |
| root | localhost |
| rtuser | localhost |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

That’s in your /opt/rt4/local/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm? Odd. If your original RT was installed from an Ubuntu distribution package you might want to just check that that file is actually being read. I know some distros move the RT files around from their standard locations.