Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu mbers

No, I’m actually not sure, and suspect this is what’s happening. The time
frame continues to decrease. The first day it was every hour, but it’s down
to every 6 hours now. I wanted to know if anyone else has seen this
problem?From: Todd Chapman [mailto:rt@chaka.net]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 9:30 AM
To: Rebecca Coleman
Cc: 'rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com.'
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket
numbers

Are you sure your mail system isn’t somehow sending the message multiple
times? How far apart are the duplicates? Hours? Minutes?

-Todd

Friday morning our mysql server (the one we have our rt database on)
went down for about 4 hours. There were a few emails sent into the rt
system during those 4 hours and for those emails, rt is generating new
a new ticket every 4 hours or so. The new ticket is identical to the
original ticket except that each new ticket has a new ticket number.
I’m using mysql 3.2.3 and rt RT 3.0.7_01 running on redhat linux
enterprise edition. Anyone ever seen this before or have any idea
what loop this ticket is stuck in? A loop that depends on mysql being
up and running is my guess…but where would I find it, and how would I
stop it?

This message contains information which may be confidential and
privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this
message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy,
disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message. If you have received the message in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank
you very much.


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Be sure to check out the RT wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message
for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.

What does your mail log say?

If you open both tickets and click on “Full headers”, are the
chain of “Received” headers different at all?

-ToddOn Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:30:06AM -0500, Rebecca Coleman wrote:

No, I’m actually not sure, and suspect this is what’s happening. The time
frame continues to decrease. The first day it was every hour, but it’s down
to every 6 hours now. I wanted to know if anyone else has seen this
problem?

I looked at three of the tickets created by the same email. The absolute
only difference in the headers are as follows:

One of the three has this:

Content-Type: text/plain
X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8
Content-Length: 4156

The other two are identical completely and have this:

content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
X-RT-Original-Encoding: ascii
Content-Length: 4156

The Date is the same, everything is exactly the same (cut n pasted headers
into files and diffed files).

I’m looking into the possiblity of the mail server sending and resending.
The way I think it works is that the mail server tries to deliver the email
to a mail box on the machine running rt, qmail on that machine directs the
mail to rt’s mailgate, then rt’s mailgate script grabs the email and creates
the tickets. I see that rt-mailgate has a default time out of 180 seconds
(3 minutes). But what does rt-mailgate do when it times out? What does it
communicate back to the mailserver?From: ‘Todd Chapman’ [mailto:rt@chaka.net]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 11:22 AM
To: Rebecca Coleman
Cc: 'rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com. '
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

What does your mail log say?

If you open both tickets and click on “Full headers”, are the chain of
"Received" headers different at all?

-Todd

It may be that rt-mailgate is timing out but creating the ticket
successfully, causing qmail to requeue. Is every ticket getting
created exactly twice or is it happening many times?On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 03:16:16PM -0500, Rebecca Coleman wrote:

I looked at three of the tickets created by the same email. The absolute
only difference in the headers are as follows:

One of the three has this:

Content-Type: text/plain
X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8
Content-Length: 4156

The other two are identical completely and have this:

content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
X-RT-Original-Encoding: ascii
Content-Length: 4156

The Date is the same, everything is exactly the same (cut n pasted headers
into files and diffed files).

I’m looking into the possiblity of the mail server sending and resending.
The way I think it works is that the mail server tries to deliver the email
to a mail box on the machine running rt, qmail on that machine directs the
mail to rt’s mailgate, then rt’s mailgate script grabs the email and creates
the tickets. I see that rt-mailgate has a default time out of 180 seconds
(3 minutes). But what does rt-mailgate do when it times out? What does it
communicate back to the mailserver?

-----Original Message-----
From: ‘Todd Chapman’ [mailto:rt@chaka.net]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 11:22 AM
To: Rebecca Coleman
Cc: 'rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com. '
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

What does your mail log say?

If you open both tickets and click on “Full headers”, are the chain of
"Received" headers different at all?

-Todd

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:30:06AM -0500, Rebecca Coleman wrote:

No, I’m actually not sure, and suspect this is what’s happening. The
time frame continues to decrease. The first day it was every hour,
but it’s down to every 6 hours now. I wanted to know if anyone else
has seen this problem?

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message
for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Be sure to check out the RT wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

Many Many times. Like over 100 times. We found the email in the mail queue
so it looks like this is what’s happening. I just wonder why it’s timing
out. Anyway, we fixed it this time by deleting the email from the queue but
it would be nice to find out why it’s timing out. That’s my next goal.From: Todd Chapman [mailto:rt@chaka.net]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 2:50 PM
To: Rebecca Coleman
Cc: 'rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com. '
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

It may be that rt-mailgate is timing out but creating the ticket
successfully, causing qmail to requeue. Is every ticket getting created
exactly twice or is it happening many times?

I looked at three of the tickets created by the same email. The
absolute only difference in the headers are as follows:

One of the three has this:

Content-Type: text/plain
X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8
Content-Length: 4156

The other two are identical completely and have this:

content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
X-RT-Original-Encoding: ascii
Content-Length: 4156

The Date is the same, everything is exactly the same (cut n pasted
headers into files and diffed files).

I’m looking into the possiblity of the mail server sending and resending.
The way I think it works is that the mail server tries to deliver the
email to a mail box on the machine running rt, qmail on that machine
directs the mail to rt’s mailgate, then rt’s mailgate script grabs the
email and creates the tickets. I see that rt-mailgate has a default
time out of 180 seconds
(3 minutes). But what does rt-mailgate do when it times out? What
does it communicate back to the mailserver?

-----Original Message-----
From: ‘Todd Chapman’ [mailto:rt@chaka.net]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 11:22 AM
To: Rebecca Coleman
Cc: 'rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com. '
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new
ticket nu mbers

What does your mail log say?

If you open both tickets and click on “Full headers”, are the chain of
"Received" headers different at all?

-Todd

No, I’m actually not sure, and suspect this is what’s happening.
The time frame continues to decrease. The first day it was every
hour, but it’s down to every 6 hours now. I wanted to know if
anyone else has seen this problem?

This message contains information which may be confidential and
privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this
message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy,
disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message. If you have received the message in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank
you very much.


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Be sure to check out the RT wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message
for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.

How long does it take to create a new ticket from the web interface?On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 03:33:27PM -0500, Rebecca Coleman wrote:

Many Many times. Like over 100 times. We found the email in the mail queue
so it looks like this is what’s happening. I just wonder why it’s timing
out. Anyway, we fixed it this time by deleting the email from the queue but
it would be nice to find out why it’s timing out. That’s my next goal.

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Chapman [mailto:rt@chaka.net]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 2:50 PM
To: Rebecca Coleman
Cc: 'rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com. '
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

It may be that rt-mailgate is timing out but creating the ticket
successfully, causing qmail to requeue. Is every ticket getting created
exactly twice or is it happening many times?

We have another email generating dups - this time no mysql downtime. I’m
going to set the timeout on rtmailgate up from it’s default 180 seconds and
hope for the best.From: Amirian, Brian [mailto:brian.amirian@viacom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 11:48 PM
To: Todd Chapman; Rebecca Coleman
Cc: rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com.
Subject: RE: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

I’ve seen this problem with and every time the email had an attachment. For
me, it’s been few and far between so it’s just been dealt with by deleting
the mail and merging or deleting the dups.

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message
for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.

Or maybe I"m not going to set the timeout…I thought I read somewhere that
there was a --timeout flag for rt-mailgate but now I can’t find it. Anyone
know if it’s possible to set this?From: Amirian, Brian [mailto:brian.amirian@viacom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 11:48 PM
To: Todd Chapman; Rebecca Coleman
Cc: rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com.
Subject: RE: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

I’ve seen this problem with and every time the email had an attachment. For
me, it’s been few and far between so it’s just been dealt with by deleting
the mail and merging or deleting the dups.

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message
for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.

Does the e-mail have attachments?On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 09:15:10AM -0500, Rebecca Coleman wrote:

We have another email generating dups - this time no mysql downtime. I’m
going to set the timeout on rtmailgate up from it’s default 180 seconds and
hope for the best.


From: Amirian, Brian [mailto:brian.amirian@viacom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 11:48 PM
To: Todd Chapman; Rebecca Coleman
Cc: rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com.
Subject: RE: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

I’ve seen this problem with and every time the email had an attachment. For
me, it’s been few and far between so it’s just been dealt with by deleting
the mail and merging or deleting the dups.

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message
for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you
have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Be sure to check out the RT wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

Yep. I just checked it - rather large attachment. How can I increase the
timeout for rt-mailgate? Any ideas?From: Todd Chapman [mailto:rt@chaka.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 10:02 AM
To: Rebecca Coleman
Cc: rt-users @ lists. bestpractical. com.
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Rt generating duplicate tickets with new ticket nu
mbers

Does the e-mail have attachments?