RT feature request

Hi,

Not sure what/where the appropriate place is for an RFE, just thought I’d suggest it while im thinking of it.

I’d like to suggest a way to implement a … for lack of better terminology, a “ticket flow” so - for example - User X wants to order a server. This goes through several different people/queues, it would go to the purchasing queue first, then the facilities queue, than the appropriate OS groups build queue. Right now, this can be done with
a manual parent/child method (i.e. user X request is the parent, and a child is created for each subtask) or the ticket is moved from queue-to-queue/group to group. It has been asked if, instead of a manual process, a “flow” could be modeled whereby a build ticket would be created, and when that ticket was closed, a new one (or child or however this would want to be done) automatically created in the next step until resolution.
This would take a lot of the manual-ness out of the process.

Along with this comes the possibility of ticket types - incident vs. problem vs. build vs. quote request etc etc etc… Whats nice about this
is that you can have a ticket of a “build” type go into the facilities queue, and that ticket, since it is a build type, could have a bunch of required custom fields that facilities would need to fill out (coincidentily, ticket types could be linked to the flow suggestion above - meaning a build type ticket would automatically go into the “build” flow) - and at the same time, a ticket for someone needing a machine physically power cycled could submit a trouble ticket to the facilities queue - and that ticket, since it’s not a build type ticket but a trouble ticket, would have none of the custom fields that the build type had.

So, my RFE is for a flow modelling ability along with a ticket type attribute that triggers various custom fields and links with flow types.

Im sure like I said in the first suggestion, these sorts of things
can be manually done, and certain things may have been suggested in various forms in the past, so I apologize if this is redundant, mainly, I just want to automate a lot of what is done manually today, and offer
uses a lot of “bang for their buck” so to speak with this change, offering a lot of flexibility to an already great tool.

Apologize also if this was the wrong place to suggest this to.

Thanks,
Sean

Hi,

Not sure what/where the appropriate place is for an RFE, just thought I’d suggest it while im thinking of it.

I’d like to suggest a way to implement a … for lack of better terminology, a “ticket flow” so - for example - User X wants to order a server. This goes through several different people/queues, it would go to the purchasing queue first, then the facilities queue, than the appropriate OS groups build queue. Right now, this can be done with
a manual parent/child method (i.e. user X request is the parent, and a child is created for each subtask) or the ticket is moved from queue-to-queue/group to group. It has been asked if, instead of a manual process, a “flow” could be modeled whereby a build ticket would be created, and when that ticket was closed, a new one (or child or however this would want to be done) automatically created in the next step until resolution.
This would take a lot of the manual-ness out of the process.

Along with this comes the possibility of ticket types - incident vs. problem vs. build vs. quote request etc etc etc… Whats nice about this
is that you can have a ticket of a “build” type go into the facilities queue, and that ticket, since it is a build type, could have a bunch of required custom fields that facilities would need to fill out (coincidentily, ticket types could be linked to the flow suggestion above - meaning a build type ticket would automatically go into the “build” flow) - and at the same time, a ticket for someone needing a machine physically power cycled could submit a trouble ticket to the facilities queue - and that ticket, since it’s not a build type ticket but a trouble ticket, would have none of the custom fields that the build type had.

So, my RFE is for a flow modelling ability along with a ticket type attribute that triggers various custom fields and links with flow types.

Im sure like I said in the first suggestion, these sorts of things
can be manually done, and certain things may have been suggested in various forms in the past, so I apologize if this is redundant, mainly, I just want to automate a lot of what is done manually today, and offer
uses a lot of “bang for their buck” so to speak with this change, offering a lot of flexibility to an already great tool.

Apologize also if this was the wrong place to suggest this to.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean,

You may want to look at the RT-workflows module. I am not certain of the exact
spelling but you can find it discussed in the archives. It allows you to set up
these types of workflows.

Cheers,
Ken