RT Database backends

Hello friends,

I used RT many years ago and have been away from it for ages. I am once again keen on running an instance to manage some tickets.
Looking at the README inside the source for 4.4.5 and 5.0.2, I see that the supported MySQL version is still listed as 5.7.

Does this mean that any version beyond 5.7 is not quite officially supported?

I am running MySQL Server version: 8.0.28 and with it, I am unable to install the database - with this error:

root@gw:/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-4.4.5 # make initialize-database
/usr/local/bin/perl -I/opt/rt4/local/lib -I/opt/rt4/lib sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to connect to your mysql instance on (port ā€˜ā€™) as root
Please specify that userā€™s database password below. If the user has no database
password, just press return.

Password:
Working with:
Type: mysql
Host:
Port:
Name: rt4
User: rtuser
DBA: root
Now creating a mysql database rt4 for RT.
Done.
Now populating database schema.
[95382] [Wed May 18 09:01:02 2022] [critical]: DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ā€˜Groups (
id INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
Name varchar(200) NULL ,
Deā€™ at line 1 at /usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-4.4.5/sbin/ā€¦/lib/RT/Handle.pm line 556. (/usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-4.4.5/sbin/ā€¦/lib/RT.pm:408)
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ā€˜Groups (
Name varchar(200) NULL ,
Deā€™ at line 1 at /usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-4.4.5/sbin/ā€¦/lib/RT/Handle.pm line 556.
*** Error code 9

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-4.4.5

++
This same error manifests when I try to install rt-5.0.2:

root@gw:/usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-5.0.2 # make initialize-database
/usr/local/bin/perl -I/opt/rt5/local/lib -I/opt/rt5/lib sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to connect to your mysql instance on localhost (port ā€˜ā€™) as root
Please specify that userā€™s database password below. If the user has no database
password, just press return.

Password:
Working with:
Type: mysql
Host: localhost
Port:
Name: rt5
User: rtuser
DBA: root
Now creating a mysql database rt5 for RT.
Done.
Now populating database schema.
[72069] [Wed May 18 09:51:40 2022] [critical]: DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ā€˜Groups (
Name varchar(200) NULL ,
Deā€™ at line 1 at /usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-5.0.2/sbin/ā€¦/lib/RT/Handle.pm line 551. (/usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-5.0.2/sbin/ā€¦/lib/RT.pm:409)
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ā€˜Groups (
Name varchar(200) NULL ,
Deā€™ at line 1 at /usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-5.0.2/sbin/ā€¦/lib/RT/Handle.pm line 551.
*** Error code 9

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/home/wash/Tools-2/RT/rt-5.0.2

Is there a way to overcome this error??

Youā€™re correct, MySQL 8 isnā€™t supported yet as there were some new reserved words like ā€œgroupsā€ added that RT uses. The easiest solution is to use a different version of MySQL/Mariadb.

I believe there was a thread on this a while ago where some patches to make RT work with 8 were suggested

1 Like

Thank you very much for the quick response.
Since I am unable to go past the initialize-database, I think I will just have to postpone using RT for now and wait till it can work with MySQL-8.