RT 5.0.0 Error during initialize database

I want to install RT 5.0.0 and get the following error message when I create the database (make initialize-database). see below

System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
MySQL: 8.0.21-0ubuntu0.20.04.4

make testdeps found all dependencies

can you help? Thanks

Error MSG
make initialize-database
/usr/bin/perl -I/opt/rt5/local/lib -I/opt/rt5/lib sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to connect to your mysql instance on localhost (port ‘’) as root
Please specify that user’s database password below. If the user has no database
password, just press return.

Password:
Working with:
Type: mysql
Host: localhost
Port:
Name: rt5
User: rt_user
DBA: root
Now creating a mysql database rt5 for RT.
Done.
Now populating database schema.
[149457] [Thu Oct 1 10:00:04 2020] [critical]: DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘Groups (
id INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
Name varchar(200) NULL ,
De’ at line 1 at /home/rt-5.0.0/sbin/…/lib/RT/Handle.pm line 548. (/home/rt-5.0.0/sbin/…/lib/RT.pm:409)
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘Groups (
id INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
Name varchar(200) NULL ,
De’ at line 1 at /home/rt-5.0.0/sbin/…/lib/RT/Handle.pm line 548.
make: *** [Makefile:390: initialize-database] Error 9
root@carisupport:/home/rt-5.0.0#

A supported SQL database
        Currently supported:  MySQL 5.7 with InnoDB support
                          MariaDB 10.2 or later with InnoDB support
                          Postgres 9.5 or later
                          Oracle 12c or later
                          SQLite 3.0 or later; for testing only, no
                                       upgrade path guaranteed

It looks like MySQL 8 is actually not supported, I believe that is because “groups” became a reserved word in that version.

There is a test branch for MySQL 8 (i.e. quoted table names" but it is a TEST branch.
You can build it yourself from the git tree (specifics left as an exercise for the user).