RT 4.4.0rc1 - post-upgrade notes

Hi all!

These may have nothing to do with anything, but for what it’s worth:

• In the WebUI, under “Logged in as…” → Settings → About Me
    Triggers a warning level message in the log about replacing the deprecated /User/Prefs.html with /Prefs/AboutMe.html

• Probably was something I did wrong on the initial install (upgrade from 4.2.11 to 4.4.0rc1), but rt-ldapimport was in the source tree but did not end up in my RT sbin dir.
    Maybe this was because my config line has never included " --enable-externalauth" ?

• For Apache Kerberos web authentication with Active Directory to work, I had to remove the old ‘patch’ to lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm I was using (from http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/Kerberos_SSO_with_Active_Directory_Integration) and instead go back to using Set($WebRemoteUserAuth, 1); in my RT_SiteConfig.pm file.

• Seems like (warning: have not done extensive tests!) putting my LDAP auth settings into a .pm file underneath RT_SiteConfig.d did not work, I had to be sure those were in RT_SiteConfig.pm to take effect. Other settings in those arbitrary config .pm files do seem to work fine.

• Straight from the upgrade documentation, merely confirming/reiterating here:
    Since I did use ExternalAuthId field, I had to remove those entries from my RT_SiteConfig.pm file (or RT::Record complains).
    Also, the “make upgrade-database” command bombed (as intended) because I had not FIRST blanked that column in the database, e.g.
    mysql> update Users set ExternalAuthId = NULL;

• Brent

Hi all!

Hi Brent,

These may have nothing to do with anything, but for what it’s worth:

Thanks again for your detailed feedback!

Triggers a warning level message in the log about replacing the deprecated /User/Prefs.html
    with /Prefs/AboutMe.html

I’m not seeing this warning. Grepping the code for ‘User/Prefs’ also shows that it’s not being linked to in 4.4. I wonder if you have a local customization of /Elements/Tabs or some such?

• Probably was something I did wrong on the initial install (upgrade from 4.2.11 to 4.4.0rc1),
    but rt-ldapimport was in the source tree but did not end up in my RT sbin dir.
    Maybe this was because my config line has never included " --enable-externalauth" ?

Fixed! It wasn’t your fault. :slight_smile:

Thank you. Is there anything we could do better for you here?

• Seems like (warning: have not done extensive tests!) putting my LDAP auth settings
    into a .pm file underneath RT_SiteConfig.d did not work, I had to be sure those were in
    RT_SiteConfig.pm to take effect. Other settings in those arbitrary config .pm files
    do seem to work fine.

(This is another thread on rt-devel)

• Straight from the upgrade documentation, merely confirming/reiterating here:
    Since I did use ExternalAuthId field, I had to remove those entries from my RT_SiteConfig.pm
    file (or RT::Record complains).
    Also, the “make upgrade-database” command bombed (as intended) because I had not FIRST
    blanked that column in the database, e.g.
    mysql> update Users set ExternalAuthId = NULL;

Yep. I made sure make upgrade-database would refuse to drop unused columns with data in them, in case people had decided to co-opt them for their own use.

• Brent

Thank you again Brent!
Shawn

Hi Shawn!

Glad to be of help (testing)

Triggers a warning level message in the log about replacing the
    deprecated /User/Prefs.html with /Prefs/AboutMe.html

I’m not seeing this warning. Grepping the code for ‘User/Prefs’ also shows that it’s not being linked to in 4.4. I wonder if you have a local customization of /Elements/Tabs or some such?

I don’t know how you managed that piece of magic, but apparently you changed something on my server because now I cant replicate that either!! :wink:
I likely missed a re-start (or clearing Mason cache), or perhaps its exactly as you said and I changed local customizations after reporting that.
Very sorry for the run-around!!!

• For Apache Kerberos web authentication with Active Directory to
    work, I had to remove the old ‘patch’ to lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
    I was using (from … ) and instead go back to using Set($WebRemoteUserAuth, 1); in my RT_SiteConfig.pm file.

Thank you. Is there anything we could do better for you here?

Not at all! I appreciate the thought though!
I was using that code mod to enable web auth to work in conjunction with Apache Kerberos and everything Just Works inside native RT now!