This morning my team could not see the ticket history on tickets. I changed the $ShowHistory setting to ‘always’ and this fixed that particular issue. Then I noticed that the menus at the top of the pages were also not loading so I looked at the source of the page and saw a few JQuery errors. I’m not 100% sure if those are relevant but when I turned $DevelMode on the issue’s went away.
There were no changes made over the weekend.
With $DevelMode off (like it usually is) I see errors about squish-xxxx.js having an unexpected end of file. I know RTIR caches these kinds of things in the mason_data/obj/ directory which is why I turned on $DevelMode to see if that fixed it.