RT 3.9.4 - first development release leading to RT 4.0.0

RT-Announce mailing list
RT-Announce@lists.bestpractical.com
http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-announce

signature.asc (198 Bytes)

We expect fast full-text searching on Postgres and Oracle, as well some
other cool features, to land in RT 3.9 within the next few weeks.

What about MySQL? Somewhere (insert link here) I remember reading the
RT 4.0 was to include a db abstracted FTS feature that even supported
MySQL w/InnoDB. Is this being dropped?

It’s not a priority right now, since the other database engines include workable built-in full text and we’d need to do 50x (seriously) more work to bundle in an external FTS. We basically have the Pg/Oracle code. MySQL’s internal FTS isn’t really as useful.

So, “dropped”, no. “Backburnered” - definitely.

If you want/need FTS on MySQL, we can certainly chat about how to make that happen.

Best,
Jesse

I posted about this in the users mailing list, but since not everybody may be reading both lists I’ll repeat it here:

I have finished integrating the Sphinx full-text search engine in RT. We did it on RT 3.8.8.
It is working very well here, and I have published everything on the wiki (look for “IntegrateSphinx”).

It may not be the solution you’re looking for, but it works VERY well on a mysql database of about 15 thousand tickets.

There are new developments with respect to what I published on the wiki (sortable columns in the results), I’ll try to update it ASAP.

Bye
Cris

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: rt-devel-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com [mailto:rt-devel-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] Per conto di Jesse Vincent
Inviato: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:39 PM
A: Brian Kroth; rt-devel@lists.bestpractical.com
Oggetto: Re: [Rt-devel] [Rt-announce] RT 3.9.4 - first development release leading to RT 4.0.0

We expect fast full-text searching on Postgres and Oracle, as well some
other cool features, to land in RT 3.9 within the next few weeks.

What about MySQL? Somewhere (insert link here) I remember reading the
RT 4.0 was to include a db abstracted FTS feature that even supported
MySQL w/InnoDB. Is this being dropped?

It’s not a priority right now, since the other database engines include workable built-in full text and we’d need to do 50x (seriously) more work to bundle in an external FTS. We basically have the Pg/Oracle code. MySQL’s internal FTS isn’t really as useful.

So, “dropped”, no. “Backburnered” - definitely.

If you want/need FTS on MySQL, we can certainly chat about how to make that happen.

Best,
Jesse

Thanks for the hard work,
Brian

List info: The rt-devel Archives

Hi Brian!

This is what Sphinx documentation says about DB support:

supports MySQL natively (all types of tables, including MyISAM, InnoDB, NDB, Archive, etc are supported);

supports PostgreSQL natively;

supports ODBC compliant databases (MS SQL, Oracle, etc) natively;

Since Sphinx uses plain sql to feed its indexes, I don’t think you’ll have problems when changing db backends.

Our DB is about 2Gb, and the Sphinx indexes (full + delta) total about 700Mb.

Building the full index takes about 8 minutes (we do this once a day), while the delta index takes a couple seconds (we build it once every 5 minutes).

Searches take a fraction of a second, no matter how complex.

Hope this helps.

Bye
Cris

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Brian Kroth [mailto:bpkroth@gmail.com]
Inviato: Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:33 PM
A: Guadagnino Cristiano
Oggetto: Re: R: [Rt-devel] [Rt-announce] RT 3.9.4 - first development release leading to RT 4.0.0

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/IntegrateSphinx

Looks interesting. When we have some spare time we’ll have to try it out on our test rig and see how it responds to ~300 thousand tickets.

Any comments on how large your rt db is (in MB - I think ours is around 6G), how long it takes to build the index, and how large the resulting index is?

In case we just end up switching databases, are there any tools for moving from mysql to oracle? I saw a couple for moving to/from postgres (but that would be “yet another thing to manage”), some old mailing list entires that refer to a RT3MySQL2Oracle which doesn’t seem to exist anymore, and this page [1] which isn’t very helpful. If we end up going that route I’d like to not loose our ~10 years of history.

Thanks,
Brian

[1] MySQLToOracle - Request Tracker Wiki

Guadagnino Cristiano guadagnino.cristiano@creval.it 2010-09-30 09:54:

* A mobile-optimized web interface

Does this mean we don’t the the MobileUI plugin?

Right. I took the mobileui plugin and plugged it in :wink: