I’ve just installed RT-3.4.1 and am very impressed.
There is a few things that it doesn’t have by default so I’ve tried
adding in some custom fields (Company, SLA, Topic) all of which are
Single Select type.
It seems however that I cannot search on these custom fields. If I do a
search just on these fields I got no results and also if I try searching
on one of the built-in fields and the OR one of the custom fields in
again it returns no results (the built in field on it’s own displays the
correct results fine).
I thought that it may be to with the choice of field type so I tried
adding a simple single input field in, that also does not work. I’ve
read though a few of the reason Release Annoucements and they indicate
that searches on these fields should work, but no matter what I do they
Can you someone enlighten me as to where I’m going wrong or confirm if
this is a known issue.
Thanks for your time,