REST 1.0 Using Postman

Hello,

I’m looking at the documentation for REST 1.0 and trying to figure out how I would authenticate, create a ticket, and add a ticket comment using Postman. I currently don’t have access to the RT system, so I can’t test anything. I just wanted to see if anyone here is using Postman and how they are doing things.

Authentication:
I understand to get a Session-Token I need to send my username and password to HTTP://my.rt.server, but I don’t understand what format to use in Postman. Would I send the user/pass in the request body, and if so, what format would I use? form-data, x-www-form-urlencoded, json, etc? or could I use basic auth?

Create Ticket & Comment:
For these requests, I also don’t understand what format the body needs to be in, json or form-data or something else. I am also confused about the “content” variable that the documentation talks about. How does the body need to look in postman with this “content” variable?

I appreciate any help on this. I just want to get a head start understanding how to use the API for when I do get access. Thank you in advance.

I have used Postman for the REST1 and REST2 API, I am not sure if this is the best way to export some of my existing request but I was able to create a sharable link:
https://www.getpostman.com/collections/0c09fe56e0eaa054600d

1 Like

I greatly appreciate you sharing this! I never would’ve guessed that was the way to set up the “content”. You just saved me a lot of trial and error!

You could share the way in which you authenticated yourself through a postman, it appears to me that the link you shared has already expired.

Could you update the link?
Thanks

Could you share your solution?
Thanks

Hello everyone,

if the authentication method in Postman is still of interest, the following works for me with REST 2.0:

First you create a user with the desired access rights in RT.
Then generate a token for the user as admin:
Call up user | “Auth Tokens” tab → Create

In Postman under “Authorization” select
Type: API Key

Then enter the following as a parameter:
Key: Authorisation
Value: token 1-*******-********
Add to: Header

The word “token” before the token itself is important.

I hope I was able to help you with this.