Requestor email address search hangs apache process

RT3.8.4

If I use an unprivileged user (or a privileged user with no rights to see queues or tickets) to create a very simple search that looks like this:

Requestor.EmailAddress Like ‘’

then the apache process handling the request maxes out CPU and hangs forever. If I create the same search with a privileged user that has rights to see queues etc it’s fine and returns instantly.

This is a big problem as the SelfService interface screens work via requestor email address, so anyone accessing SelfService severely affects performance of my RT.

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.com

RT3.8.4

If I use an unprivileged user (or a privileged user with no rights to see queues or tickets) to create a very simple search that looks like this:

then the apache process handling the request maxes out CPU and hangs forever. If I create the same search with a privileged user that has rights to see queues etc it’s fine and returns instantly.

This is a big problem as the SelfService interface screens work via requestor email address, so anyone accessing SelfService severely affects performance of my RT.

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.com

Hi Justin,

Perhaps you are missing an index. What query is hitting the database
for the slow search? What DB backend are you using?

Cheers,
Ken

Hi Kenneth,

I’m using MYSQL, How can I tell which query it is? I get no logging and nothing in the MYSQL slow search log, I assume because it never completes?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.comOn 29 Apr 2010, at 13:39, Kenneth Marshall wrote:

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:24:22AM +0100, Justin Hayes wrote:

RT3.8.4

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.com

Hi Justin,

Perhaps you are missing an index. What query is hitting the database
for the slow search? What DB backend are you using?

Cheers,
Ken

Hi Justin,

First of all use Requestor.EmailAddress = ‘’, so use =
instead of LIKE, in the query builder it is “is” operator. Second, add
index on CachedGroupMembers(MemberId, GroupId, Disabled) and on
Users(EmailAddress) if these are not there already.On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Justin Hayes justin.hayes@orbisuk.com wrote:

RT3.8.4

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Best regards, Ruslan.

Hi Ruslan,

I have both of those indexes already, and in SelfService I have no control over the query being run - it’s just trying to show the ‘My open tickets’ panel.

Also there is no problem with SelfService with a privileged account that has rights to see queues/tickets, so it seems to be something else that’s the problem. Something rights related?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.comOn 29 Apr 2010, at 17:27, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

Hi Justin,

First of all use Requestor.EmailAddress = ‘’, so use =
instead of LIKE, in the query builder it is “is” operator. Second, add
index on CachedGroupMembers(MemberId, GroupId, Disabled) and on
Users(EmailAddress) if these are not there already.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Justin Hayes justin.hayes@orbisuk.com wrote:

RT3.8.4

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Best regards, Ruslan.

Hello,

Hi Ruslan,

I have both of those indexes already, and in SelfService I have no control over the query being run - it’s just trying to show the ‘My open tickets’ panel.

My open tickets panel uses user’s ID as far as I know and it’s even
faster. Optimize/Analyze on tables sometimes help convince optimizer,
but anyway read below.

Also there is no problem with SelfService with a privileged account that has rights to see queues/tickets, so it seems to be something else that’s the problem. Something rights related?

Then next step is to look into log of slow queries and figure out what
query is so slow that user waits forever.

Thanks,

Justin

Best regards, Ruslan.

Sorry I’ve been on holiday Ruslan.

I think I said before that I don’t get any slow query in the mysql logs… whatever is hanging (it might be a query) never appears to finish, so doesn’t get logged as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager
justin.hayes@orbisuk.comOn 29 Apr 2010, at 17:54, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Justin Hayes justin.hayes@orbisuk.com wrote:

Hi Ruslan,

My open tickets panel uses user’s ID as far as I know and it’s even
faster. Optimize/Analyze on tables sometimes help convince optimizer,
but anyway read below.

Then next step is to look into log of slow queries and figure out what
query is so slow that user waits forever.

Thanks,

Justin

Best regards, Ruslan.