Remove ticket number/tag from subject

Hello,

I am currently using OTRS, and am evaluating RT. One feature that OTRS has that is a requirement for us is to remove the ticket number from the subject line and leave the customers subjects in tact, yet being able to change the title of the ticket in the system.

Is RT able to do this? Parse incoming emails and match replies to the ticket by message-id’s and references, as well as retain the original subject of the email but yet keep our adjusted ticket title in the system?

Kris

Hi,

I recall some solution was posted a few years back to the list or
wiki, but don’t remember anyone wrapped it as an extension.On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Kristofer Pettijohn kristofer@cybernetik.net wrote:

Hello,

I am currently using OTRS, and am evaluating RT. One feature that OTRS has that is a requirement for us is to remove the ticket number from the subject line and leave the customers subjects in tact, yet being able to change the title of the ticket in the system.

Is RT able to do this? Parse incoming emails and match replies to the ticket by message-id’s and references, as well as retain the original subject of the email but yet keep our adjusted ticket title in the system?

Kris

RT Training Sessions (http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html)

• Chicago, IL, USA September 26 & 27, 2011
  • San Francisco, CA, USA October 18 & 19, 2011
  • Washington DC, USA October 31 & November 1, 2011
  • Melbourne VIC, Australia November 28 & 29, 2011
  • Barcelona, Spain November 28 & 29, 2011

Best regards, Ruslan.

Hi,

wiki, but don’t remember anyone wrapped it as an extension.

I suspect any such method will be quite fragile, since it will depend closely on the end user’s mail user agent, and their mail provider’s mail transfer agent, doing the right thing with message ID’s, In-reply-to headers and so on. In my experience quite a lot of mail clients don’t do that properly.

Regards,

Tim

The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

wiki, but don’t remember anyone wrapped it as an extension.

I suspect any such method will be quite fragile, since it will depend
closely on the end user’s mail user agent, and their mail provider’s
mail transfer agent, doing the right thing with message ID’s,
In-reply-to headers and so on. In my experience quite a lot of mail
clients don’t do that properly.

The other problem such header matching creates is attaching email to
completely unrelated existing tickets when a person tries to create a
new ticket by replying to a ticket mail and clearing the subject and
content.

This question comes up on the mailing list from time to time. I suggest
you search the archives.

Thomas

content.

you search the archives.

That is an issue less than 1% of the time for us, which we can easily resolve in OTRS by clicking “Split” which splits that article into a new ticket. Beyond that, we have done something where a new ticket is created if an old closed ticket over a certain time-frame is replied to.

This particular situation has been the only nuisance with handling tickets this way, but it happens so infrequently that it hasn’t been an issue.

I do remember trying to manually code this message-id matching into RT about 10 years ago, and back in that day so many different email clients were in use and weren’t following the “rules” per say, that it was too much of an issue to deal with. I haven’t had any issues with OTRS not matching an email to the correct ticket yet. I think it may do a little more than just scan the headers, also, but I haven’t had time to look at the code. I was hoping RT would have been to that point by now, but maybe this could be an opportunity for me to contribute some code. :slight_smile:

Kris

content.

you search the archives.

That is an issue less than 1% of the time for us, which we can easily resolve in OTRS by clicking “Split” which splits that article into a new ticket. Beyond that, we have done something where a new ticket is created if an old closed ticket over a certain time-frame is replied to.

This particular situation has been the only nuisance with handling tickets this way, but it happens so infrequently that it hasn’t been an issue.

I do remember trying to manually code this message-id matching into RT about 10 years ago, and back in that day so many different email clients were in use and weren’t following the “rules” per say, that it was too much of an issue to deal with. I haven’t had any issues with OTRS not matching an email to the correct ticket yet. I think it may do a little more than just scan the headers, also, but I haven’t had time to look at the code. I was hoping RT would have been to that point by now, but maybe this could be an opportunity for me to contribute some code. :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t be that hard. Attachments have message id column. Only one
function is called to associate email with ticket, subject and full
mime entity are passed into it. This function as well can optionally
turn replies to closed tickets into new tickets. Subject tag also
installed in limited number of places. May be some templates still put
subject tag.

Kris

RT Training Sessions (http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html)

• Chicago, IL, USA September 26 & 27, 2011
  • San Francisco, CA, USA October 18 & 19, 2011
  • Washington DC, USA October 31 & November 1, 2011
  • Melbourne VIC, Australia November 28 & 29, 2011
  • Barcelona, Spain November 28 & 29, 2011

Best regards, Ruslan.