Queue tag, email addresses, and ticket flow - Explanation?

Our service department is looking to restructure its queues and email addresses to improve our customer experience. In their initial draft, I don’t see anything too problematic. However, one of the things they want to do is use a single email address for all correspondence. I’ve been looking online for documentation on the queue tags but I haven’t found anything useful. This is my understanding:

If an email arrives in a queue in box with no queue tag, then the default response is to create a ticket. If the same email address is used across multiple queues, but a ticket can only be created in one of them what would happen?

For existing tickets, if the ticket was moved from queue A to queue B the system will recognize the ticket number being in a new queue and update the correct ticket. Is this the standard behavior?

To reduce the number of mailboxes we have, we are looking to move to IMAP and use folders to move separate emails and have wsgetmail leverage those folders to put mail in the correct queues. Are there any gotchas with this solution?

I would use mailbox rules to move the mails to different folders, then pull each folder to a different queue, using wsgetmail.

As far as how the logic works, RT creates a unique ticket number. It does not care in which queue is the ticket, it will append the new entry/reply on that ticket based on ticket number.
To create two different tickets using the same initial email, you will have to make a copy of the initiating email using mailbox rules.

Q1:

If an email arrives in a queue in box with no queue tag, then the default response is to create a ticket. If the same email address is used across multiple queues, but a ticket can only be created in one of them what would happen?

A1:
As long as the reply reaches a mailbox that wsgetmail is pulling emails, it will update or create a ticket

Q2:

For existing tickets, if the ticket was moved from queue A to queue B the system will recognize the ticket number being in a new queue and update the correct ticket. *Is this the standard behavior?

A2:
Yes, the above is the default.

Q3:

To reduce the number of mailboxes we have, we are looking to move to IMAP and use folders to move separate emails and have wsgetmail leverage those folders to put mail in the correct queues. Are there any gotchas with this solution?

A3:
You can use only one mailbox for many queues, the only gotcha is the overhead of moving the tickets to the correct queue, either via mailbox rules or manually. It is not always easy to distinguish what is the case about. Other than that, technically it is possible.

I’m still not clear on how that works.
Say I have two queues. Both use the same email address, both have “Create Ticket” permissions. An email comes into the in box. If folders are not involved, how does the system know where the ticket should be created or is this something that needs to be worked out on the design/permissions side?

The queue in which the ticket will be created is configured in the wsgetmail.json config file on the line below

"command_args": "--url=http://rt.example.com/ --queue=General --action=correspond"

In similar manner, you can configure which folder you want to monitor using the line below

"folder": "Inbox",

You can see the whole file in the documentation of the wsgetmail Here

In your use case, if you want to use the same mailbox with two different folders, you need to create 2 wsgetmail.json config files with different names, and 2 separate cron jobs to pull emails from each folder.

Also, you will need different wsgetmail.json files for each queue as documented Here

This is the way I have set it up and works flawlessly.