Problems with RT2 and mail gateway (continuation)

OK,
after I started sendmail on the RT host machine (which should have been
running anyway), I get an error at least. I also put a link into
/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin to make sure smrsh is not at fault here.
Basically, I get a Can’t do setuid error.

access rights on /opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate are -rwxr-sr-x, owner root,
group rt.

What can I do?

Regards,
Harald

PS: Error message included for Your consumption - H.

Mail Delivery Subsystem wrote:

The original message was received at Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:09:05 +0200
from [170.200.66.15]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
|"/opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue edv --action correspond"
(reason: 255)
(expanded from: edv@ganymed.truenorth.com)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
Can’t do setuid
554 5.3.0 |"/opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue edv --action correspond"… unknown mailer error 255


Reporting-MTA: dns; ganymed.truenorth.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; [170.200.66.15]
Arrival-Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:09:05 +0200

Final-Recipient: RFC822; edv@ganymed.truenorth.com
X-Actual-Recipient: X-Unix; |/opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue edv --action correspond
Action: failed
Status: 5.0.0
Diagnostic-Code: X-Unix; 255
Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:09:30 +0200


Subject: Test1
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:09:05 +0200
From: hwagener@hammail1.truenorth.com
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

1 2 3 4
sendmail war gar nicht am Start!
-H.

Harald Wagener | Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH | Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252
An der Alster 42 | Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263
20099 Hamburg | http://www.fcb-wilkens.com

Good morning Harald !

Mail Delivery Subsystem wrote:

The original message was received at Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:09:05 +0200
from [170.200.66.15]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
|"/opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue edv --action correspond"
(reason: 255)
(expanded from: edv@ganymed.truenorth.com)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
Can’t do setuid
554 5.3.0 |"/opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue edv --action correspond"… unknown mailer error 255

I had the same problem, and this is what I found ‘somewhere’ :wink: in the
internet :slight_smile: :

Can’t do setuid

(F) This typically means that ordinary perl tried to exec suidperl to do
setuid
emulation, but couldn’t exec it.
It looks for a name of the form sperl5.000 in the same directory that
the perl
executable resides under the name perl5.000, typically /usr/local/bin on
Unix
machines. If the file is there, check the execute permissions.
If it isn’t, ask your sysadmin why he and/or she removed it.

I had to do the following…

chmod u+s /usr/bin/sperl5.6.0

and the problem was gone :slight_smile: !

Maybe that helps ?

Regards from Germany and…

Gerd.

±----------------------- Gerd Nienhaus --------------------------+
| Orthogon GmbH, Hastedter Osterdeich 222, D-28207 Bremen |
| E-Mail: Gerd Nienhaus nienhaus@orthogon.de |
±— Tel.: +49 (0)421 20122-0/-53, FAX: +49 (0)421 20122-999 ----+

ORTHOGON and ODS Toolbox are registered trademarks of Orthogon GmbH

Gerd Nienhaus wrote:

Good morning Harald !

Moin!

I had the same problem, and this is what I found ‘somewhere’ :wink: in the
internet :slight_smile: :

Can’t do setuid

(F) This typically means that ordinary perl tried to exec suidperl to do
setuid
emulation, but couldn’t exec it.
It looks for a name of the form sperl5.000 in the same directory that
the perl
executable resides under the name perl5.000, typically /usr/local/bin on
Unix
machines. If the file is there, check the execute permissions.
If it isn’t, ask your sysadmin why he and/or she removed it.

I had to do the following…

    chmod u+s /usr/bin/sperl5.6.0

and the problem was gone :slight_smile: !

Maybe that helps ?

It helped, thanks alot! Now mails are accepted, but nothing gets sent out
(might be a configuration problem). Also I don’t know which timezone to
set (our clock is synchronized via ntp, so we could rely on system time).
I tried ‘Europe/Berlin’ and ‘Etc/GMT+2’, but nothing changed. Or have I
forgotten everything in the docs and should have started some program
to integrate the changed configuration into RT2?

Regards,
Harald

Harald Wagener | Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH | Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252
An der Alster 42 | Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263
20099 Hamburg | http://www.fcb-wilkens.com

Moin, moin again !

Harald Wagener wrote:

It helped, thanks alot! Now mails are accepted, but nothing gets sent out
(might be a configuration problem). Also I don’t know which timezone to
set (our clock is synchronized via ntp, so we could rely on system time).
I tried ‘Europe/Berlin’ and ‘Etc/GMT+2’, but nothing changed. Or have I
forgotten everything in the docs and should have started some program
to integrate the changed configuration into RT2?

I do not exactly understand your new problem, but you seem to follow my
’chain of problems’ :wink: !

Therefore the next info my be valuable ?

With RT2 you have to (or better you are able to :)) configure
’everything’…
ok…a lot of things !

If something should be send by RT2, you have to configure the
related action for that.

Look for all the scripts and templates… ‘Nothing’ will be done
automatically by RT2 :slight_smile: !

If you have already taken this into account, then I am not able to
conclude from your description what your new problem might be ?!?

Regards from Germany and…

Gerd.

±----------------------- Gerd Nienhaus --------------------------+
| Orthogon GmbH, Hastedter Osterdeich 222, D-28207 Bremen |
| E-Mail: Gerd Nienhaus nienhaus@orthogon.de |
±— Tel.: +49 (0)421 20122-0/-53, FAX: +49 (0)421 20122-999 ----+

ORTHOGON and ODS Toolbox are registered trademarks of Orthogon GmbH

Have you granted ‘Everyone’ the right to create tickets in your queue?
Is there anything in RT’s error log?On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 10:46:03AM +0200, Harald Wagener wrote:

Gerd Nienhaus wrote:

Good morning Harald !

Moin!

I had the same problem, and this is what I found ‘somewhere’ :wink: in the
internet :slight_smile: :

Can’t do setuid

(F) This typically means that ordinary perl tried to exec suidperl to do
setuid
emulation, but couldn’t exec it.
It looks for a name of the form sperl5.000 in the same directory that
the perl
executable resides under the name perl5.000, typically /usr/local/bin on
Unix
machines. If the file is there, check the execute permissions.
If it isn’t, ask your sysadmin why he and/or she removed it.

I had to do the following…

    chmod u+s /usr/bin/sperl5.6.0

and the problem was gone :slight_smile: !

Maybe that helps ?

It helped, thanks alot! Now mails are accepted, but nothing gets sent out
(might be a configuration problem). Also I don’t know which timezone to
set (our clock is synchronized via ntp, so we could rely on system time).
I tried ‘Europe/Berlin’ and ‘Etc/GMT+2’, but nothing changed. Or have I
forgotten everything in the docs and should have started some program
to integrate the changed configuration into RT2?

Regards,
Harald


Harald Wagener | Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH | Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252
An der Alster 42 | Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263
20099 Hamburg | http://www.fcb-wilkens.com


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

jesse reed vincent – root@eruditorum.orgjesse@fsck.com
70EBAC90: 2A07 FC22 7DB4 42C1 9D71 0108 41A3 3FB3 70EB AC90

autoconf is your friend until it mysteriously stops working, at which
point it is a snarling wolverine attached to your genitals by its teeth
(that said, it’s better than most of the alternatives) – Nathan Mehl

Jesse wrote:

Have you granted ‘Everyone’ the right to create tickets in your queue?
Is there anything in RT’s error log?

I have cleared that up now. The next thing to do is build scrips so that
everyone does not get two mails for every action (one transaction and
anotherone), and then we will have RT2 ready for prime time.

Thanks to all for their great help!

By the way: My machine was a freshly installed SuSE 7.2 box, where the
suid bit is turned off for sperl by default. This might make sense
security wise, but maybe it should be noted in the installation notes that
’clever’ setups like this might cause trouble when installing RT2.

As I told Jesse in private communication already, I will try to write two
or three things for the FAQ which cover the problems I (and Gerd to some
extent) had while installing RT2.

By the way: How difficult will it be to upgrade from 1.3.99 to 2.0.0-RC1 ?

Regards,
Harald

Harald Wagener | Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH | Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252
An der Alster 42 | Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263
20099 Hamburg | http://www.fcb-wilkens.com

By the way: How difficult will it be to upgrade from 1.3.99 to 2.0.0-RC1 ?

Not that bad, but you may as well wait for 2.0.0 later this week :wink:

Regards,
Harald


Harald Wagener | Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH | Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252
An der Alster 42 | Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263
20099 Hamburg | http://www.fcb-wilkens.com

jesse reed vincent – root@eruditorum.orgjesse@fsck.com
70EBAC90: 2A07 FC22 7DB4 42C1 9D71 0108 41A3 3FB3 70EB AC90

Emacs is a pretty good operating system, but Unix has a better editor.