Problem with Update.html and local modification, and evaluation of RT

Dear RT Users,

I don’t know if this is the “done” thing - I have some questions about RT, as part of an evaluation trial, and I hope I can get some feedback on the product.

System details:

Gentoo Linux (up to date)
RT 3.4.5
Apache 2

First question. We want to make a change to Update.html (specifically, add a Javascript patch that puts a button on the Ticket/Update.html page, to count the time that the update has been opened and fill in the Time Worked field). We have modified the page and saved it as local/html/Ticket/Update.html however the page is still displaying the old version.

I’ve been bashing at this for a while and this is my latest effort to try to force load the new code:

• Rename all instances of Update.html (yes all of them, it was driving me nuts trying to work out which one was loading)
  • try to load the Update page. Error (as expected) which specified which two files it was trying to load. One of them is my newly-created local/html/Ticket/Update.html.
  • Rename the local/html/Ticket/Update.html back to it’s correct name
  • Restart Apache
  • Try to update the ticket. The Update screen now loads, but without my new code.

I have emptied my cache, restarted the server, tried from another computer that has never accessed Update.html before but I am always getting the old code, no matter what. Does anyone have any clues?

Secondly, do you find that the documentation is up to par? I have struggled to find information about how to use the local directory, callbacks, and so on. And other items. Maybe I just don’t know my way around the wiki very well, and maybe I’m just not very clever. The next person who tells me that won’t be the first ;-).

Thirdly, impressions of the product as a whole? Good, bad, reliable/trustworthy, annoying niggles?

Thanks all.

I’ve been bashing at this for a while and this is my latest effort to try to force load the new code:

• Rename all instances of Update.html (yes all of them, it was driving me nuts trying to work out which one was loading)
  • try to load the Update page. Error (as expected) which specified which two files it was trying to load. One of them is my newly-created local/html/Ticket/Update.html.
  • Rename the local/html/Ticket/Update.html back to it’s correct name
  • Restart Apache
  • Try to update the ticket. The Update screen now loads, but without my new code.

I have emptied my cache, restarted the server, tried from another
computer that has never accessed Update.html before but I am always
getting the old code, no matter what. Does anyone have any clues?

“My cache” being the browswer cache or the Mason cache?

I have struggled to find information about how to use the local
directory, callbacks, and so on. And other items.

Have you read Request Tracker Wiki ?

Michael
Michael S. Liebman m-liebman@northwestern.edu
http://msl521.freeshell.org/
“I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.”
-Paul Newman in “Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid”

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 07:25:40 +1100
“Robert Rowland” Robert@directnetit.com.au spake:

Secondly, do you find that the documentation is up to par? I have struggled to find information about how to use the local directory, callbacks, and so on. And other items. Maybe I just don’t know my way around the wiki very well, and
maybe I’m just not very clever. The next person who tells me that won’t
be the first ;-).

We are just getting started with it in the big scheme of things. I
found the wiki to be good enough to get going, and plan on acquiring
the book so I have something to hit users with when they ask about
using it. The nice part about the wiki is that you can add onto the
documentation as you see fit. After wallowing a bit getting it working
on OpenBSD, I added an OpenBSD page to the wiki. Its worth spending
time in there and reading a lot on this list.

Thirdly, impressions of the product as a whole? Good, bad, reliable/trustworthy, annoying niggles?

So far it seems excellent for the price. We’ve written our own in the
past, then were considering a commercial package, then found this.
Feature wise I think RT hits it nicely with not overdoing the fields
and tracking, but also does not do too little.

Bill Chmura
Director of Internet Technology
Explosivo ITG
Wolcott, CT

p: 860.621.8693
e: bill@Explosivo.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

Secondly, do you find that the documentation is up to par? I have struggled to find information about how to use the local directory, callbacks, and so on. And other items. Maybe I just don’t know my way around the wiki very well, and maybe I’m just not very clever. The next person who tells me that won’t be the first ;-).

We’ve got this book. It’s likely the right place to start if you’re not
happy with the user-built wiki. http://rtbook.bestpractical.com.

Jesse

We’ve got this book. It’s likely the right place to start if you’re
not
happy with the user-built wiki. http://rtbook.bestpractical.com.

Also, I hope to be contributing more to the wiki over the next months. I
love RT, but im not anywhere near a programmer so I cant really
contribute code…

duncan

I have emptied my cache, restarted the server, tried from another
computer that has never accessed Update.html before but I am always
getting the old code, no matter what. Does anyone have any clues?

“My cache” being the browswer cache or the Mason cache?
Browser cache. Didn’t know about Mason cache, but now I do. Thanks for the tip you solved my problem - may your next project be 30% easier than you expected.

I have struggled to find information about how to use the local
directory, callbacks, and so on. And other items.

Have you read Request Tracker Wiki ?
Yes I have, and I’m glad I found it before diving in and making changes. I had difficulty with its brevity and relating it to the install paths that Gentoo uses. Still learning tho…

Thanks for your help.

Also thanks to others who replied with thoughts on RT generally and its documentation. We will get the book, and if we go ahead with using RT (looks likely) I will probably be in the Wiki from time to time.

Cheers,

Rob.