Perl upgrade Broke my RT!

We upgraded a couple of perl libraries due to some requirements from
another application (relaydelay), and, while things worked through the
night, this morning it was discovered that our RT installation was no
longer displaying pages!

Hence, we get a zero sized reply, and emails to RT fail.

In a panic, we upgraded to 3.4.2 and the results were the same. :frowning: I
did notice the new standalone_httpd, which prompted for a quick test.
Viola! The site was accessible and functional! Great.

Then, I saw a number of messages on STDOUT similar to the following:
[Thu Jul 21 17:42:18 2005] [crit]:
rt-3.4.2-15930-185295-6.7.1573970583762@oursite.orgCould not send
mail. (/var/www/html/oursite.org/rt3/lib/RT/Action/SendEmail.pm:280)

Ack! A quick check showed that RT was unable to send email.

Anyone have any ideas on how to debug this? I’m in a bit of a panic and
at a loss as to how to pull more information out of RT to determine WHY
it cannot send email.

Thanks!
-Rich

Actually, although I got those “Could not send mail.” messages, my test
message did go through and I did receive an auto reply.

Hrmm… I wonder if there are other addresses in one of the scrips that
are bad. Still the “Could not send mail” message gives me the chills.

Anyhow, I’m now running the standalone_httpd since I cannot seem to get
Apache to display (using mod_perl) the site any longer. :frowning:

I’d prefer to use Apache because it is threaded and already had the
mechanism in place to handle all of the load, but I’m not getting
anything logged anywhere, and I simply get a “Zero Sized Reply”.

-Rich

Rich West wrote:

Anyhow, I’m now running the standalone_httpd since I cannot seem to get
Apache to display (using mod_perl) the site any longer. :frowning:

I’d prefer to use Apache because it is threaded and already had the
mechanism in place to handle all of the load, but I’m not getting
anything logged anywhere, and I simply get a “Zero Sized Reply”.

Make sure all your perl modules are up to date, as seen
by your new perl binary ('make testdeps"); then rebuild
mod_perl against that.

Also keep in mind that if you rebuild mod_perl2 (not mod_perl) after your perl upgrade make sure your still using an old mod_perl2 (1.99). When mod_perl2 became 2.0 several weeks ago the API changed and won’t work with RT at present.

Sorry for the delay on this one… I got sidetracked. Thank goodness for
the standalone_httpd option as that bought me some time!

Running Apache 2.0.52 w/ mod_perl 1.99 and perl 5.8.5.

All I did was upgrade a couple of perl modules (unfortunately) to
experiment with an app called “relaydelay” to assist in combatting spam
(including spam to our RT instances). The app is working wonderfully…
unfortunately, the upgrade perl modules caused the Apache->RT hooks to
break.

-Rich

Steven E. Ames wrote:

Rich West wrote:

Sorry for the delay on this one… I got sidetracked. Thank goodness
for the standalone_httpd option as that bought me some time!

So which perl modules did you update? Search on CPAN for older versions
and re-install them.

Running Apache 2.0.52 w/ mod_perl 1.99 and perl 5.8.5.

All I did was upgrade a couple of perl modules (unfortunately) to
experiment with an app called “relaydelay” to assist in combatting
spam (including spam to our RT instances). The app is working
wonderfully… unfortunately, the upgrade perl modules caused the
Apache->RT hooks to break.

-Rich

Steven E. Ames wrote:

Also keep in mind that if you rebuild mod_perl2 (not mod_perl) after
your perl upgrade make sure your still using an old mod_perl2 (1.99).
When mod_perl2 became 2.0 several weeks ago the API changed and won’t
work with RT at present.

-----Original Message-----
From: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com
[mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com]On Behalf Of Phil
Homewood
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 12:02 AM
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Perl upgrade Broke my RT!

Rich West wrote:

Anyhow, I’m now running the standalone_httpd since I cannot

seem to get

Apache to display (using mod_perl) the site any longer. :frowning:

I’d prefer to use Apache because it is threaded and already had the
mechanism in place to handle all of the load, but I’m not getting
anything logged anywhere, and I simply get a “Zero Sized Reply”.

Make sure all your perl modules are up to date, as seen
by your new perl binary ('make testdeps"); then rebuild
mod_perl against that.


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Be sure to check out the RT Wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

Drew Barnes
Applications Analyst
Raymond Walters College
University of Cincinnati

I went through the modules that were installed as part of “relaydelay”
(which resulted in the Apache->RT break) to downgrade them, but,
honestly, I don’t even know where to start. I tried the older versions
of DBI and Apache::DBI with no luck.

Ah, well. At least the standalone_httpd is working well. :slight_smile:

-Rich