[forwarding this to rt-devel, where we can deal with it in public]
User sends e-mail in hebrew from MS-Outlook. (99% of the E-Mails are going
to be like that, I guess):
- RT gets the mail fine. No complaints are sent back.
- RT sends back a greeting message. Unlike RT2, when it writes the
subject of the original message, I see hebrew, and not garbage. (great!)
- I go into RT’s web interface. All is cool. I see the message well (Like
I did in RT2.). And I see the subject in Hebrew, too. (Unlike I did in
RT2). That’s good. Very good
- I reply to the message, again, with Hebrew.
- The client recieves my mail formatted in UTF-8. He can read the Hebrew
all well. Cool!
- The client then replies to my E-Mail, probably now with UTF-8 as the
encoding. [Here I should mention that by default, hebrew is used in
the world at the encoding named “windows-1255”, or by the ISO code
The result: The subject line (which is part of the message in
RT’s correspondence log) is seen in Hebrew, great. However the
contents of the message looks like garbage. Unlike the garbage I saw
in the subject lines in RT2 [looks like greek], but garbage that looks
like Unicode stuff when being looked by some ordinary encoding, but the
encoding is still Unicode, because when it’s not, the whole page is
rendered like a big pile of stuff that looks exactly like that.
If he replies back with ENGLISH, I see the English well.
“Outlook is a massive flaming horrid blatant security violation, which
also happens to be a mail reader.”
“Sure UNIX is user friendly; it’s just picky about who its friends are.”
----- End forwarded message -----
http://www.bestpractical.com/rt – Trouble Ticketing. Free.