No outbound email after upgrade

Hello,

I just upgraded from debian wheezy, which uses RT 4.0.7 to Jessie, which uses RT 4.2.8. Like a good debian user, I’m trying to stick with exim4, and it has always worked for my purposes in 4.0.7.

However

Ever since the update, RT will no longer send emails. So, I thought that my debian update must have squashed my exim configs… but it didn’t. From a bash shell, I can send email as anyone I want – including the RT user. But RT itself no longer sends messages. There is nothing in any of my log files, and I pushed everything in RT to ‘debug’. I check the exim logs, and the messages look like they are not even being submitted to the mail service (there is no record of them).

I didn’t change my RT_SiteConfig.pm file at all… though I have spent several hours, after discovering this problem, playing with options to try to jog it back into sending email. Nothing works. Of course.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thank you!

Here is my current config:

Set($LDAPHost, ‘domaincontroller.mycompany.com’);
Set($ExternalAuthPriority, [ ‘My_LDAP’,
]
);
Set( @Plugins, qw(RT::Authen::ExternalAuth) );
Set($ExternalInfoPriority, [ ‘My_LDAP’
]
);
Set($ExternalServiceUsesSSLorTLS, 0);
Set($AutoCreateNonExternalUsers, 0);
Set($ExternalAuthPriority,[‘My_LDAP’,‘My_Oracle’,‘SecondaryLDAP’,‘Other-DB’]);
‘type’ => ‘ldap’,
‘server’ => ‘domaincontroller.mycompany.com’,
‘user’ => ‘rtuser@mycompany.com’,
‘pass’ => ‘password’,
‘base’ => ‘ou=COMPANY USERS,dc=mycompany,dc=com’,
‘filter’ => ‘(&(ObjectCategory=User)(ObjectClass=Person))’,
‘d_filter’ => ‘’,
‘tls’ => 1,
‘ssl_version’ => 3,
‘net_ldap_args’ => [ version => 3 ],
‘attr_match_list’ => [ ‘Name’,
‘EmailAddress’,
‘RealName’,
‘WorkPhone’,
‘Address2’
],
‘attr_map’ => { ‘Name’ => ‘sAMAccountName’,
‘EmailAddress’ => ‘mail’,
‘Organization’ => ‘physicalDeliveryOfficeName’,
‘RealName’ => ‘cn’,
‘ExternalAuthId’ => ‘sAMAccountName’,
‘Gecos’ => ‘sAMAccountName’,
‘WorkPhone’ => ‘telephoneNumber’,
‘Address1’ => ‘streetAddress’,
‘City’ => ‘l’,
‘State’ => ‘st’,
‘Zip’ => ‘postalCode’,
‘Country’ => ‘co’
}
},
}
);
1;
my $zone = “UTC”;
$zone=/bin/cat /etc/timezone
if -f “/etc/timezone”;
chomp $zone;
Set($Timezone, $zone);
Set($rtname, ‘rt.mycompany.com’);
Set($Organization, ‘RT.mycompany.com’);
Set($CorrespondAddress , ‘rt@rt.mycompany.com’);
Set($CommentAddress , ‘rt@rt.mycompany.com’);
Set($WebPath , “/rt”);
Set($WebBaseURL , “http://rt.mycompany.com”);
Set($LogToSyslog , ‘debug’);
Set($LogToScreen , ‘debug’);
Set($LogDir, ‘/var/log/request-tracker4’);
Set($SendmailPath, “/usr/lib/sendmail”);
Set($SendmailArguments, “-t”);
my %typemap = (
mysql => ‘mysql’,
pgsql => ‘Pg’,
sqlite3 => ‘SQLite’,
);

Set($DatabaseType, $typemap{mysql} || “UNKNOWN”);
Set($DatabaseHost, ‘localhost’);
Set($DatabasePort, ‘’);
Set($DatabaseUser , ‘mrhappy’);
Set($DatabasePassword , ‘myhappypassword’);
my $dbc_dbname = ‘rtdb’; if ( “mysql” eq “sqlite3” ) { Set ($DatabaseName, ‘’ . ‘/’ . $dbc_dbname); } else { Set ($DatabaseName, $dbc_dbname); }
Set($LogToFile , undef);
Set($LogDir, ‘/var/log/request-tracker4’);
Set($LogToSyslog, ‘debug’);
1;

Hello,

I just upgraded from debian wheezy, which uses RT 4.0.7 to Jessie, which
uses RT 4.2.8. Like a good debian user, I’m trying to stick with exim4, and
it has always worked for my purposes in 4.0.7.

However

Ever since the update, RT will no longer send emails.

[…]

Can your RT instance receive emails?

-m

Hi Matt,

It never could. I never got that working, and had to get going on other projects. Things were complicated because we use exchange with a smart-host off-site to scrub our emails for spam and viruses. It is setup to take all the email for our domain. I figured I’d tackle that again at a later date… probably using fetchmail or something… Once I get it back to where it was, I’ll be looking into the receiving end of email.

But, it was always able to send emails with no problem through exim, and I can send emails from the bash command prompt with no problem as well.

Thanks.

-ChrisFrom: Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe@d.umn.edu
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 2:54 PM
To: Ditri, Chris
Cc: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] No outbound email after upgrade

Hello,

I just upgraded from debian wheezy, which uses RT 4.0.7 to Jessie, which
uses RT 4.2.8. Like a good debian user, I’m trying to stick with exim4, and
it has always worked for my purposes in 4.0.7.

However

Ever since the update, RT will no longer send emails.

[…]

Can your RT instance receive emails?

-m

But, it was always able to send emails with no problem through exim, and I can send emails from the bash command prompt with no problem as well.

From RT_Config.pm:

$MailCommand
    $MailCommand defines which method RT will use to try to send mail.
    We know that 'sendmailpipe' works fairly well. If 'sendmailpipe'
    doesn't work well for you, try 'sendmail'. 'qmail' is also a
    supported value.

For testing purposes, or to simply disable sending mail out into the
    world, you can set $MailCommand to 'mbox' which logs all mail, in
    mbox format, to files in /opt/rt4/var/ based in the process start
    time. The 'testfile' option is similar, but the files that it
    creates (under /tmp) are temporary, and removed upon process
    completion; the format is also not mbox-compatable.

Perhaps try setting MailCommand to mbox or testfile.

-m

Hi Matt, and thanks for your response.

I have tried this. It still produces nothing. Here is what I added to my RT_SiteConfig.pm:

Set($MailCommand, “mbox”);
Set($OwnerEmail, “me@workplace.com”);

I have also tried:
Set($MailCommand, “sendmailpipe”);
Set($MailCommand, “smtp”);
Set($MailCommand, “sendmail”);
Set($MailCommand, “test”);

I do a ‘/etc/init.d/request-tracker4 restart’ after each, and even try rebooting. No good.

I’m sure I’m missing something silly here… but I just don’t know what it is…

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.From: Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe@d.umn.edu
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 4:05 PM

From RT_Config.pm:

$MailCommand
    $MailCommand defines which method RT will use to try to send mail.
    We know that 'sendmailpipe' works fairly well. If 'sendmailpipe'
    doesn't work well for you, try 'sendmail'. 'qmail' is also a
    supported value.

For testing purposes, or to simply disable sending mail out into the
    world, you can set $MailCommand to 'mbox' which logs all mail, in
    mbox format, to files in /opt/rt4/var/ based in the process start
    time. The 'testfile' option is similar, but the files that it
    creates (under /tmp) are temporary, and removed upon process
    completion; the format is also not mbox-compatable.

Perhaps try setting MailCommand to mbox or testfile.

-m

I have tried this. It still produces nothing. Here is what I added to my RT_SiteConfig.pm:

I have also tried:

I do a ‘/etc/init.d/request-tracker4 restart’ after each, and even try rebooting. No good.

Any other suggestions?

It looks like you are using Debian. Are you using the SiteConfig.d
directory and running update-rt-siteconfig before restarting apache?

Other things you could try:

Set($LogStackTraces, ‘debug’);
Set($LogToSTDERR, ‘debug’);

then check the apache error log (/var/log/apache2/error.log) for output.

-m

HI Again,

Yes, I’m using debian. No, I haven’t put it in my RT_SiteConfig.d directory because I don’t want to lose track of the settings. When the config is good, I will move them into the appropriate file and re-execute my update update-rt-siteconfig-4. I’m trying to keep the debris out of my configs. It only reads RT_SiteConfig.pm, so I don’t see any harm in this strategy.

I have set the logging on, thank you for that… lets hope it dumps some useful info!

Thanks again.From: Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe@d.umn.edu
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:13 AM

I have also tried:

Any other suggestions?

-m

Ok…

After turning the debugging, I captured this from the log:

[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: Converting ‘utf-8’ to ‘utf-8’ for text/html - Subjectless message (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/I18N.pm:295)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: Converting ‘utf-8’ to ‘utf-8’ for text/html - Subjectless message (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/I18N.pm:295)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: About to prepare scrips for transaction #8404 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Transaction.pm:187)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: Found 0 scrips for TransactionCreate stage with applicable type(s) Correspond for txn #8404 on ticket #621 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Scrips.pm:495)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: About to commit scrips for transaction #8404 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Transaction.pm:210)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: Found 0 scrips for TransactionBatch stage with applicable type(s) Correspond for txn #8404 on ticket #621 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Scrips.pm:495)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4484 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4486 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4488 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4490 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4492 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4495 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4497 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4499 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4504 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4506 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4508 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4510 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4512 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4514 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4516 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4518 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)

It says it didn’t find a script for transaction batch and for transaction create… Makes me wonder if I’m missing a package?

Here is what aptitude says I have installed (and what’s available):

p rt-app - Test application which simulates a real-ti
p rt-tests - Test programs for rt kernels
i rt4-apache2 - Apache 2 specific files for request-tracke
i A rt4-clients - mail gateway and command-line interface to
i rt4-db-mysql - MySQL database backend for request-tracker
p rt4-db-postgresql - PostgreSQL database backend for request-tr
p rt4-db-sqlite - SQLite database backend for request-tracke
p rt4-doc-html - HTML documentation for request-tracker4
i rt4-extension-authenexternalaut - External authentication module for request
p rt4-extension-calendar - Calendar view for Request Tracker 4
p rt4-extension-customfieldsonupd - edit ticket’s custom fields on reply/comme
p rt4-extension-jsgantt - Gantt charts for Request Tracker
p rt4-extension-spawnlinkedticket - quickly spawn linked tickets in different
p rt4-fcgi - External FastCGI support for request-track
p rt4-standalone - Standalone web server support for request-

I thank you.From: rt-users rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com on behalf of Ditri, Chris Cditri@experi-metal.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:26 PM
To: Matt Zagrabelny

HI Again,

Yes, I’m using debian. No, I haven’t put it in my RT_SiteConfig.d directory because I don’t want to lose track of the settings. When the config is good, I will move them into the appropriate file and re-execute my update update-rt-siteconfig-4. I’m trying to keep the debris out of my configs. It only reads RT_SiteConfig.pm, so I don’t see any harm in this strategy.

I have set the logging on, thank you for that… lets hope it dumps some useful info!

Thanks again.

Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:13 AM

I have also tried:

Any other suggestions?

-m

Ok…

[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: About to prepare scrips for transaction #8404 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Transaction.pm:187)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: Found 0 scrips for TransactionCreate stage with applicable type(s) Correspond for txn #8404 on ticket #621 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Scrips.pm:495)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: About to commit scrips for transaction #8404 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Transaction.pm:210)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:21 2015] [debug]: Found 0 scrips for TransactionBatch stage with applicable type(s) Correspond for txn #8404 on ticket #621 (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT/Scrips.pm:495)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4484 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4486 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4488 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4490 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4492 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4495 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4497 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4499 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4504 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4506 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4508 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4510 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4512 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4514 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4516 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)
[1426] [Tue Aug 25 16:41:22 2015] [debug]: Rendering attachment #4518 of ‘text/html’ type (/usr/share/request-tracker4/html/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments:182)

It says it didn’t find a script for transaction batch and for transaction create… Makes me wonder if I’m missing a package?

Not a package. Check your DB or your admin web interface.

SELECT * from objectscrips;
SELECT * from scrips;

The objectscrips is how scrips can be selectively applied to individual queues.

-m

Hi Matt,

There is absolutely nothing in ObjectScrips, and everything is set to NULL in Scrips (in the database).

Are you implying that I need to make custom scrips to send routine emails regarding tickets?
Something is different then… I definitely didn’t have to do that before… must be new between 4.0.7 and 4.2.8 (4.0.7 shipped with Wheezy, and 4.2.8 with Jessie). Was it normal to lose that functionality in the upgrade?

I have never messed with Scrips before… not sure I understand them. Is there a good resource on the subject?

Thank you.From: Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe@d.umn.edu
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:52 PM

Ok…

Not a package. Check your DB or your admin web interface.

SELECT * from objectscrips;
SELECT * from scrips;

The objectscrips is how scrips can be selectively applied to individual queues.

-m

Hi Matt,

There is absolutely nothing in ObjectScrips, and everything is set to NULL in Scrips (in the database).

Are you implying that I need to make custom scrips to send routine emails regarding tickets?
Something is different then… I definitely didn’t have to do that before… must be new between 4.0.7 and 4.2.8 (4.0.7 shipped with Wheezy, and 4.2.8 with Jessie). Was it normal to lose that functionality in the upgrade?

Certainly not normal.

You do need to run some upgrade commands (DB scripts) when upgrading
though. The (upstream) upgrade will normally prompt you for what
version of RT you are upgrading from and which one you are upgrading
to. Do you remember seeing that?

For the RT 3.8 Debian package, there was a directory,
/etc/request-tracker3.8/etc/upgrade. Do you have something similar for
RT 4(.2) ?

3.8 was the last time I used the deb package for RT, and I don’t
remember what the upgrades were like - I’d imagine it also varies
depending on if you use db-config or not. We use Debian for the OS,
but use upstream tarballs for the RT installation. There is a make
target that handles applying the DB upgrade scripts.

Cheers,

-m

Hi Matt,

Certainly not normal.

RT 4(.2) ?

Cheers,

-m

Now that you mention it, Matt, there was an issue with dbconfig-common. It didn’t want to take the root password for the the database. Eventually I got it to go through, but there were some errors. I found a log for dbconfig-common… but I honestly don’t know why it goofed up, and how tor re-run dbconfig common for rt.

Here is the log I found in /var/log/dbconfig-common:

RROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2).
unable to connect to mysql server.
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2).
granting access to database rtdb for rtuser@localhost: success.
verifying access for rtuser@localhost: success.
creating database rtdb: success.
verifying database rtdb exists: success.
populating database via scriptfile… done.
dbconfig-common: dumping mysql database rtdb to /var/tmp/request-tracker4.rtdb.2013-12-16-14.45.mysql.q3wmxz.
dbconfig-common: dropping mysql database rtdb.
dropping database rtdb: success.
verifying database rtdb was dropped: success.
dbconfig-common: revoking privileges for user rtuser on rtdb.
revoking access to database rtdb from rtuser@localhost: success.
creating database backup in /var/cache/dbconfig-common/backups/request-tracker4_4.0.7-5+deb7u3.mysql.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES).
creating database backup in /var/cache/dbconfig-common/backups/request-tracker4_4.0.7-5+deb7u3.mysql.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES).
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.0.10.
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.0.12.
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.0.12-2.
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.0.19.
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.2.3.
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.2.4.
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.2.6.
applying upgrade script for 4.0.7-5+deb7u3 → 4.2.7.

It was nonsense that it wouldn’t take the password…I’ve had problems like that with dbconfig-common before… But ultimately, it looked like it worked for rt, and it seems to work just fine in all other respects.

Is there a way to repair the damage? I’m not sure where scrips live even… in the db? on the filesystem?

Thanks.

Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:55 PM

Hi Matt,

Certainly not normal.

RT 4(.2) ?

Cheers,

-m

Now that you mention it, Matt, there was an issue with dbconfig-common. It didn’t want to take the root password for the the database. Eventually I got it to go through, but there were some errors. I found a log for dbconfig-common… but I honestly don’t know why it goofed up, and how tor re-run dbconfig common for rt.

I don’t know anything about dbconfig-common. I generally stay away
from it, but perhaps it is useful in certain circumstances.

You could always file a Debian bug against the package if it broke
during upgrades. Dom is a very good maintainer.

Here is the log I found in /var/log/dbconfig-common:

RROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2).
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2).
dbconfig-common: dumping mysql database rtdb to /var/tmp/request-tracker4.rtdb.2013-12-16-14.45.mysql.q3wmxz.
dbconfig-common: dropping mysql database rtdb.
dropping database rtdb: success.
verifying database rtdb was dropped: success.
dbconfig-common: revoking privileges for user rtuser on rtdb.
revoking access to database rtdb from rtuser@localhost: success.

It was nonsense that it wouldn’t take the password…I’ve had problems like that with dbconfig-common before… But ultimately, it looked like it worked for rt, and it seems to work just fine in all other respects.

Is there a way to repair the damage?

Depends on how much you’ve customized. You can re-import stock scrips.
Or if you’ve customized, you can dump/restore the data and attempt the
upgrade DB scripts again.

Perhaps re-import the scrips and see if that is close enough. Take a look at:

sbin/rt-setup-database

and

(from the source tarball) etc/initialdata

Also, grepping the mailing list archives might help with examples or
syntax. I just did “grep rt-setup-database full_archives.txt | wc -l”
and got 2672 hits.

I’m not sure where scrips live even… in the db? on the filesystem?

Scrips live in the DB.

-m