Mysql dependency error with MariaDB and Debian 12

I am getting the following errors when trying to run testdeps/fixdeps. Should I be using DBD::MariaDB instead? Is there a workaround?

DBD::mysql >= 2.1018, != 4.042 … MISSING

DBD::mysql requires MySQL 8.x for building. Version reported by mysql_config --version: 10.11.4 at Makefile.PL line 450, line 3.
Warning: No success on command[/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site]
DVEEDEN/DBD-mysql-5.002.tar.gz
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site – NOT OK

So it seems this might be related to MariaDB incorrectly reporting the compatible mysql version info, as noted in this thread below, but I don’t understand what the fix or workaround would be. Do I need to install a specific version of MariaDB for the dependency check to succeed?

I believe this is related to some recent changes in the latest versions of DBD::mysql that will limit new versions to only MySQL 8, so these new versions will not work with MySQL 5.7 and earlier, or MariaDB. For now, I think the easiest fix is to manually install an earlier version. The previous released version was DBD::mysql 4.052 which you can get it on CPAN. We will be looking at how to update the RT dependency checking to try to do the right thing based on the selected DB.

How do i install that specific version of DBD::mysql?

Also, do i not need libdbd-mariadb-perl or DBD::MariaDB?

I think I figured it out. Thanks for the help Jim

An issue while attempting to run testdeps or fixdeps for our Best Practical software installation. I’m receiving errors related to the DBD::mysql dependency. The error message indicates that DBD::mysql requires MySQL 8.x for building, but the version reported by mysql_config --version is 10.11.4. This mismatch is causing the installation process to fail.

Hey,

As noted by Jim you need to use DBD::mysql version 4.052.

Cheers,
Andrew