MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated

I’m currently running RT 4.4.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with MySQL 5.6 on Windows Server 2012. Recently, we enabled full-text indexing in native MySQL & everything is great. After doing some work on the server over the weekend, I discovered that the .sql files being generated for the backup are being “truncated” after the attachments table (~18-19GB). After reviewing your documentation (Backups - RT 4.4.1 Documentation - Best Practical) I realized my mysqldump command was incorrect. I’m working in a lab environment now to see how I can optimize/change my script to more closely match yours. The only thought I have right now is to exclude the data from the AttachmentsIndex as that would get rebuilt on restoration anyways. Is there any other reason that the backup would just “stop” after the attachment table? I apologize if this is beyond the scope of the forums thread.

Thank you in advance!

Stephen Cena
Senior Systems Administrator
Quality Vision International, Inc.
Phone: (585) 544-0450 x300
To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email: hd-general@qvii.commailto:hd-general@qvii.com
To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.commailto:postmaster@qvii.com

I just ran a test with the attachments table “ignored”, and the backup worked perfectly. As a “sanity check”, I also ran mysqlcheck on the schema & no errors were found. Should I split my backup job into two pieces, or is there a better way to get a backup all in one shot?

From: “Cena, Stephen (ext. 300)” <SJC@qvii.commailto:SJC@qvii.com>

To: “‘rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com’”

<rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com<mailto:rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com>>

Subject: [rt-users] MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated

Message-ID:

<87F81E27495DC8489147E34A4152E268A49508BA@MailStore2010.ogp.qvii.com<mailto:87F81E27495DC8489147E34A4152E268A49508BA@MailStore2010.ogp.qvii.com>>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=“us-ascii”

I’m currently running RT 4.4.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with MySQL 5.6 on Windows Server 2012. Recently, we enabled full-text indexing in native MySQL & everything is great. After doing some work on the server over the weekend, I discovered that the .sql files being generated for the backup are being “truncated” after the attachments table (~18-19GB). After reviewing your documentation (Backups - RT 4.4.1 Documentation - Best Practical) I realized my mysqldump command was incorrect. I’m working in a lab environment now to see how I can optimize/change my script to more closely match yours. The only thought I have right now is to exclude the data from the AttachmentsIndex as that would get rebuilt on restoration anyways. Is there any other reason that the backup would just “stop” after the attachment table? I apologize if this is beyond the scope of the forums thread.

Thank you in advance!

Stephen Cena

To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email: hd-general@qvii.com<mailto:hd-general@qvii.commailto:hd-general@qvii.com<mailto:hd-general@qvii.com>

To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.com<mailto:postmaster@qvii.commailto:postmaster@qvii.com<mailto:postmaster@qvii.com>

Stephen Cena
To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email: hd-general@qvii.commailto:hd-general@qvii.com

Hello Stephen,

just a stab in the dark, but could you please check the value set for
“max_allowed_packet” in the mysqldump section of /etc/mysql/my.cnf (or
whatever your my.cnf file is named)? If you try to dump mysql objects that
are larger than this size, mysqldump will stop; probably with a message like
“mysql server has gone away”. You can raise that value for mysqldump just by
editing that file; no server restart is required.

HTH,

Thomas Bätzler

BRINGE Informationstechnik GmbH

Zur Seeplatte 12

D-76228 Karlsruhe

Germany

Fon: +49 721 94246-0

Fon: +49 171 5438457

Fax: +49 721 94246-66

Web: http://www.bringe.de/

Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Martin Bringe

Ust.Id: DE812936645, HRB 108943 MannheimVon: rt-users [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] Im Auftrag
von Cena, Stephen (ext. 300)
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2017 18:23
An: ‘rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com’ rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Betreff: Re: [rt-users] MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated

I just ran a test with the attachments table “ignored”, and the backup
worked perfectly. As a “sanity check”, I also ran mysqlcheck on the schema &
no errors were found. Should I split my backup job into two pieces, or is
there a better way to get a backup all in one shot?

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 13:54:57 +0000

From: “Cena, Stephen (ext. 300)” <SJC@qvii.com mailto:SJC@qvii.com >

<rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com

mailto:rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com >

Message-ID:

<87F81E27495DC8489147E34A4152E268A49508BA@MailStore2010.ogp.qvii.com
mailto:87F81E27495DC8489147E34A4152E268A49508BA@MailStore2010.ogp.qvii.com

I’m currently running RT 4.4.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with MySQL 5.6 on Windows
Server 2012. Recently, we enabled full-text indexing in native MySQL &
everything is great. After doing some work on the server over the weekend, I
discovered that the .sql files being generated for the backup are being
“truncated” after the attachments table (~18-19GB). After reviewing your
documentation (Backups - RT 4.4.1 Documentation - Best Practical) I
realized my mysqldump command was incorrect. I’m working in a lab
environment now to see how I can optimize/change my script to more closely
match yours. The only thought I have right now is to exclude the data from
the AttachmentsIndex as that would get rebuilt on restoration anyways. Is
there any other reason that the backup would just “stop” after the
attachment table? I apologize if this is beyond the scope of the forums
thread.

Thank you in advance!

Stephen Cena

To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email:
hd-general@qvii.com
mailto:hd-general@qvii.com<mailto:hd-general@qvii.com
mailto:hd-general@qvii.com

To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.com
mailto:postmaster@qvii.com<mailto:postmaster@qvii.com
mailto:postmaster@qvii.com

Stephen Cena

To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com
http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email: mailto:hd-general@qvii.com
hd-general@qvii.com

To report email issues: mailto:postmaster@qvii.com postmaster@qvii.com

smime.p7s (4.93 KB)

I had that issue initially, and changed the value to 64MB. It was originally 4MB, then I increased it to 16MB, it’s been at 64MB for some time.

The maximum size of one packet or any generated or intermediate string, or any parameter sent by the

mysql_stmt_send_long_data() C API function.

#max_allowed_packet=4M
#max_allowed_packet=16M
max_allowed_packet=64M

It’s the oddest thing. The backups were working perfectly through most of December. Sometime between the week of Christmas and now it seems to have “blown up”. As a work around right now, I’ve split the backup in two pieces: just attachments, and everything else. That appears to be working but I can’t seem to explain why this has happened.

Stephen Cena
To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.commailto:postmaster@qvii.comFrom: Thomas Bätzler [mailto:t.baetzler@bringe.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:04 AM
To: ‘rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com’ rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Cc: Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) SJC@qvii.com
Subject: AW: [rt-users] MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated

Hello Stephen,

just a stab in the dark, but could you please check the value set for “max_allowed_packet” in the mysqldump section of /etc/mysql/my.cnf (or whatever your my.cnf file is named)? If you try to dump mysql objects that are larger than this size, mysqldump will stop; probably with a message like “mysql server has gone away”. You can raise that value for mysqldump just by editing that file; no server restart is required.

HTH,
Thomas Bätzler
Zur Seeplatte 12
D-76228 Karlsruhe
Germany

Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Martin Bringe
Ust.Id: DE812936645, HRB 108943 Mannheim

Von: rt-users [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] Im Auftrag von Cena, Stephen (ext. 300)
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2017 18:23
An: ‘rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com’ <rt-users@lists.bestpractical.commailto:rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com>
Betreff: Re: [rt-users] MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated

I just ran a test with the attachments table “ignored”, and the backup worked perfectly. As a “sanity check”, I also ran mysqlcheck on the schema & no errors were found. Should I split my backup job into two pieces, or is there a better way to get a backup all in one shot?

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 13:54:57 +0000

From: “Cena, Stephen (ext. 300)” <SJC@qvii.commailto:SJC@qvii.com>

<rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com<mailto:rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com>>

Message-ID:

<87F81E27495DC8489147E34A4152E268A49508BA@MailStore2010.ogp.qvii.com<mailto:87F81E27495DC8489147E34A4152E268A49508BA@MailStore2010.ogp.qvii.com>>

Thank you in advance!

Stephen Cena

To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email: hd-general@qvii.com<mailto:hd-general@qvii.commailto:hd-general@qvii.com<mailto:hd-general@qvii.com>

To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.com<mailto:postmaster@qvii.commailto:postmaster@qvii.com<mailto:postmaster@qvii.com>

Stephen Cena

Hi Stephen,Am 19.01.2017 um 13:33 schrieb Cena, Stephen (ext. 300):

I had that issue initially, and changed the value to 64MB. It was
originally 4MB, then I increased it to 16MB, it�s been at 64MB for some
time.

You can check your RT database to see whether 64MB is enough by running

select max(OCTET_LENGTH(Content)) from Attachments;

in the context for your RT4 database. If that query comes up with
anything above 48MB, I’d raise that variable to a suitably higher value.

MfG,
Thomas B�tzler
Zur Seeplatte 12
D-76228 Karlsruhe
Germany

Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Martin Bringe
Ust.Id: DE812936645, HRB 108943 Mannheim

I’ve done as you requested. It looks like I’m hovering around 31MB if I’m reading it properly: 30828544 . Should I increase the packet size anyways? If I split my backups into two pieces they appear to run properly. Both resulting .sql files dhow the “dump complete” text at the end.

Stephen Cena
To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email: hd-general@qvii.com
To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.comFrom: Thomas Bätzler [mailto:t.baetzler@bringe.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:36 AM
To: Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) SJC@qvii.com; ‘rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com’ rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated

Hi Stephen,

Jeff - No limit that I’m aware of. If I look at a VM backup in December, the SQL files actually hit 19GB+ versus the “18 and change”. The only other possibility that it COULD be is I’ve had to turn on Windows folder compression because the backups are getting so large their filling the drive. I could temporarily disable it to see if that is factoring into it, but I’ve bene using it all along without issue. The real kicker is I didn’t notice the issue soon enough so I’m having difficulty identifying what specifically went wrong.

Stephen Cena
To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.com-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Pilant [mailto:jeffrey.pilant.ext@bayer.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:27 PM
To: Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) SJC@qvii.com
Subject: RE: MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated

Another stab in the dark. Is the destination file of the backup hitting a size boundary? What size is it? Anything close to a power of 2 would be suspicious. Also, free space on the destination and on the temp/scratch areas need to be large enough.

/jeff
The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally privileged. Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a waiver of any privilege. If you receive this message in error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part of this message. Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify the sender. Thank you.

I just looked into this now. Got a little swamped yesterday. It looks like the system is using the OS drive which barely has 19GB free so it’s possible that’s what’s tripping it up. I checked the error log & the only errors I’m seeing are dropped packets from my RT systems around the time of the backup (which would make sense if they aren’t stopped). I have a 20GB partition that I can use to move the temp tiles to. I’m also going to talk to our VM admin about getting a “scratch drive” added. I’m running another PowerShell “grep” on my attachments backup file as the sizes from the 18th and the 19th are identical. With the volume we do, I don’t see how that’s possible. The “everything else” .sql file shows expected growth.

Stephen Cena
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:16 PM

Folder compression can slow things down, but should not cause an issue.

What about temp/scratch space? If you are making temp files on a different disk that is low in space, failure there could cause the problem. Check the free space of all accessible drives, and check where temp files go.

/jeff

-----Original Message-----
Jeff - No limit that I’m aware of. If I look at a VM backup in December, the SQL files actually hit 19GB+ versus the “18 and change”. The only other possibility that it COULD be is I’ve had to turn on Windows folder compression because the backups are getting so large their filling the drive. I could temporarily disable it to see if that is factoring into it, but I’ve bene using it all along without issue. The real kicker is I didn’t notice the issue soon enough so I’m having difficulty identifying what specifically went wrong.

Stephen Cena

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally privileged. Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a waiver of any privilege. If you receive this message in error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part of this message. Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify the sender. Thank you.

All the backups I’m doing are local to keep performance high. I sadly lost the “discussion” to keep the MySQL server on a Linux machine. What we’re going to try is the following:
We’re snapshotting/backing up the system at regular intervals so I will always have a backup of the .sql files. I’m going to move the MySQL TMP folder to the larger drive to see if that solves the issue. I think you might be on to something with the drive issue as it looks to be the only consistent factor. I’ll update as I know more.

Stephen Cena
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 8:54 AM

Just FYI:
When windows copies files between drives, I believe it copies them to a temp area first before copying the temp area to the destination.
It probably does this to avoid writing a partial file when running out of space. Because it causes a doubling of data transfer, it is stupid, but then, it is Microsoft Windows.

If your backup process includes copying the result across drives, this could be the source of the problem.

/jeff

Update: I tried increasing the database permissions on the account I’m using to run the backup but that didn’t change anything. I don’t think it’s a file size limitation as before they stopped working, my backups were reaching 19GB. When I look at the actual database file on the server for the attachments table its 19.7GB on disk. I’m going to see if there is a way to turn on any additional logging during operation/backup but this really has me scratching my head. Any additional help would be appreciated & I will update the group as soon as I know something new.

To: ‘Jeffrey Pilant’ jeffrey.pilant.ext@bayer.com,
“‘rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com’”
rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated
Message-ID:
87F81E27495DC8489147E34A4152E268A4962E65@MailStore2010.ogp.qvii.com

All the backups I’m doing are local to keep performance high. I sadly lost the “discussion” to keep the MySQL server on a Linux machine. What we’re going to try is the following:
We’re snapshotting/backing up the system at regular intervals so I will always have a backup of the .sql files. I’m going to move the MySQL TMP folder to the larger drive to see if that solves the issue. I think you might be on to something with the drive issue as it looks to be the only consistent factor. I’ll update as I know more.

Stephen Cena
To notify helpdesk: http://helpdesk.ogp.qvii.com or email: hd-general@qvii.com To report email issues: postmaster@qvii.com

Excellent point. The MySQL TEMP folder was moved, but not the operating system ones. I’ll see if I can move the OS temp locations to the larger drive today & see what that gets me. I’ve just gotten the last 30 lines of the “attachments” table .sql file so I’m checking that to see if maybe there’s anything in the text that might cause a stop. Still looking into this one guys. Thank you for all who have answered so far! Will update as soon as I know more.

Stephen Cena
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 5:59 PM

There are temp files and temp files. The files you moved may not be the ones you need to move. You might try observing the free space as the backup proceeds and see what it is filling with. That might give you a clue of which set of temp files need moved. I.e. rt vs. web vs. MySQL vs. System vs. whatever. Each may define temp files in a different way. Config file vs. registry variable vs. environment variable vs. different environment variable vs. command line parameter vs. whatever. We programmers can get creative.

As to the question you asked about indexing, I don’t know. That should be asked to the list at large.

/jeff

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards,

Jeffrey Pilant

Update on my MySQL backup issue: no change. I’ve now moved the Windows TEMP folders to the larger drive to see if the issue was running out of temp space and it has not helped. I will keep the group updated to any developments, but will refrain if its not anything noteworthy. I’m going to try contacting the MySQL forums as this looks to be more suited to them. I’m also going to see if I can spin up a Linux MySQL DB server and “move” the tables into it via SFTP/copy, then attempt a backup there. I’m good with MySQL but it’s not my bread & butter. Any additional help from the group will be welcomed.

To date, I’ve tried:
-Splitting the attachments table into its own backup job: failed.
-Moved MySQL temp folder/location to larger drive: failed.
-Moved Windows 2012 system TEMP folders to larger drive: failed.
-Ran MySQL diagnostics on the RT database affected: all tests pass

Stephen Cena

The problem has become more interested. Switching from --results-file to > exposed the max packet problem but now, I can’t seem to get around it. I currently have my max_allowed_packet set to 1024M and it’s still dying. I have the approximate row & attachment ID where it’s failing and if I’m reading it right it’s a 110K PDF file. I tried upping it to 2048M but apparently that isn’t allowed as the value in MySQL doesn’t go any higher.

Stephen Cena

It’s fixed!!! Recap: large RT database (host Ubuntu 14.04LTS, database server MySQL 5.7.x on Windows Server 2012). Backup .sql files became truncated at ~18GB when the database is easily 20GB.

It looks like (for whatever reason) the max_allowed_packet option is not carrying over to the backup scripts. I re-wrote my backup options as:

-u USER -h HOST --max_allowed_packet=512M --single_transaction > output.sql

That solved it.

And I get a full backup of the file. Probably my own fault, but wanted to share the information. I’m now getting 19.5GB+ backups. Thanks to everyone!

Stephen Cena

Hi Stephen,

It’s fixed!!! Recap: large RT database (host Ubuntu 14.04LTS, database
server
MySQL 5.7.x on Windows Server 2012). Backup .sql files became truncated at
~18GB when the database is easily 20GB.

Good to hear. Does your my.cnf file not have a “[mysqldump]” section? That’s