Migrating from MySql to Oracle

Hi,

I work at a support desk currently using RT 4.0.6 on a MySQL server and we need to switch to RT 4.2.0 on a Oracle Server for fulltext search among other thing. The database administrators are not very familiar with RT, but they have successfully upgraded 4.0.6 MySQL to 4.2.0 MySQL on a test server.

My question, is there any step by step document, guidance, or video that I can provide to the DBA’s to assist them in the conversion to Oracle?

I was told that RT 4.2 includes utilities such as the RT-Validator, RT-Serializer, and RT-Impoter to assist in this process. I have read though the documentation provided on the BestPractical website, but still cannot verify what directions to give to the DBAs.

From what I read, this is what I think I know so far:

1. They should take the database for 4.2.0 on the MySQL server and use RT-Validatorhttps://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/rt-validator.html to ensure the database is self-consistent.
  2. Next they should use RT-Serializerhttps://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/rt-serializer.html to write out the RT database to a disk. During the process of using RT-Serializer, the tech team needs to enable the Clone feature.
  3. Finally, they need to use RT-Importerhttps://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/rt-importer.html to import the cloned, serialized database from the disk onto the Oracle Database with RT4.2 already installed.

Follow-up questions:
Are the utilities described above easily found and operated? I have never seen the back end of RT.
How long should the conversion take with a database containing 108,000 tickets?
Are there any errors or issues that I should keep an eye out for when the DBAs do the conversion?

I am sorry if this is a basic question, I am not knowledgeable about database administration and migrations.

I am looking for any assistance I can get.

Thanks you for your time.

Sincerely,
Greg

I work at a support desk currently using RT 4.0.6 on a MySQL server and we need
to switch to RT 4.2.0 on a Oracle Server for fulltext search among other thing.
The database administrators are not very familiar with RT, but they have
successfully upgraded 4.0.6 MySQL to 4.2.0 MySQL on a test server.

4.2.0 is from October of 2013, you should be installing 4.2.9

Be aware, 4.2.0 also contains a number of bugs in rt-serializer and
rt-importer, and there are additional fixes which will be included in

My question, is there any step by step document, guidance, or video that I can
provide to the DBA’s to assist them in the conversion to Oracle?

Not that I’m aware of.

1. They should take the database for 4.2.0 on the MySQL server and use [1]
    RT-Validator to ensure the database is self-consistent.

2. Next they should use [2] RT-Serializer to write out the RT database to a
    disk. During the process of using RT-Serializer, the tech team needs to enable
    the Clone feature.

3. Finally, they need to use [3] RT-Importer to import the cloned, serialized
    database from the disk onto the Oracle Database with RT4.2 already installed.

This is correct

Are the utilities described above easily found and operated? I have never seen
the back end of RT.

ls /opt/rt4/sbin

How long should the conversion take with a database containing 108,000 tickets?

“Depends on your data set”
You will of course be testing this before just going live on Oracle,
use that opportunity to time the conversion.

-kevin