"Message body not shown because it is too large."

I’m seeing some unusual behavior on an RT 3.8.9 system just upgraded
from 3.6.6. It has to do with pasting text from Outlook or Word into a
ticket, and results are different from browser to browser. Results seem
to be the same regardless of whether we are using rich or plain text
formatting.

Chrome:

Works fine for smaller amounts of text. Larger amounts (unclear how
big) when saved display the “Message body not shown because it is too
large” message.

Firefox:

Works fine for smaller amounts of text from notepad, etc. Even pasting
a single line from outlook gives this message. Pasting that text into
notepad first and then copying from there into RT works fine.

IE8:

Behaves like Chrome. Small amounts of text are fine, large amounts
display the “Message body…” message.

First up, what is the character limit regardless of the source of the
text being inserted to the ticket? Does anyone have any idea why
firefox is so unhappy about text coming from rich text formatting apps
(despite not necessarily being in rich text format)?

Thanks,

Rob Sullivan

Systems Engineer, Peerless Network Inc

rsullivan@peerlessnetwork.com

312-506-0948

I’m seeing some unusual behavior on an RT 3.8.9 system just upgraded from
3.6.6. It has to do with pasting text from Outlook or Word into a ticket,
and results are different from browser to browser. Results seem to be the
same regardless of whether we are using rich or plain text formatting.

You have to play with the folowing options ( see doc in RT_Config.pm):

=item C<$PreferRichText>

If C<$PreferRichText> is set to a true value, RT will show HTML/Rich
text
messages in preference to their plaintext alternatives. RT “scrubs” the
html to show only a minimal subset of HTML to avoid possible
contamination
by cross-site-scripting attacks.

=cut

Set($PreferRichText, undef);

=item C<$MaxInlineBody>

C<$MaxInlineBody> is the maximum attachment size that we want to see
inline when viewing a transaction. RT will inline any text if value
is undefined or 0. This option can be overridden by users in their
preferences.

=cut

Set($MaxInlineBody, 12000);

Forgive my late intrusion on this conversation.

Sullivan, Rob wrote:

I’m seeing some unusual behavior on an RT 3.8.9 system just upgraded
from 3.6.6. It has to do with pasting text from Outlook or Word into a
ticket, and results are different from browser to browser. Results seem
to be the same regardless of whether we are using rich or plain text
formatting.

[snip]

I was going nuts with the same issue. Investigating it further, I found the
comment stored in the Contents field in the Attachments table–the
attachment is identified by the second number in the "Download (untitled)"
link. Paste from an Office application includes the xml style sheet that
Microsoft Office apps add to html pages. It’s pretty much the same content
seen in a simple html page when Word is HTML editor.

The dangerous route is to update the field with the expected contents while
also updating the Content-Length item in the Headers field. It’s a PITA to
put it mildly. I now paste with great caution if the source is a Microsoft
application.

Hope this sheds some light on the question. Not sure what can be done to
remove the extraneous content though.

Keith
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/"Message-body-not-shown-because-it-is-too-large."-tp31155777p32160483.html

Ginger,

Easy to fix. Your “Ticket Display” size is set too low for that particular
ticket. Each user has the ability to set higher limits in their
"Preferences". It is the “Maximum inline message length”. Mine is set to
100000. If you get a lot of these, you might want to consider upping the
default size in your RT_SiteConfig.pm file.

Kenn
LBNLOn Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Ginger K < keith.macpherson@gingermonkey.co.uk> wrote:

Forgive my late intrusion on this conversation.

Sullivan, Rob wrote:

I’m seeing some unusual behavior on an RT 3.8.9 system just upgraded
from 3.6.6. It has to do with pasting text from Outlook or Word into a
ticket, and results are different from browser to browser. Results seem
to be the same regardless of whether we are using rich or plain text
formatting.

[snip]

I was going nuts with the same issue. Investigating it further, I found the
comment stored in the Contents field in the Attachments table–the
attachment is identified by the second number in the "Download (untitled)"
link. Paste from an Office application includes the xml style sheet that
Microsoft Office apps add to html pages. It’s pretty much the same content
seen in a simple html page when Word is HTML editor.

The dangerous route is to update the field with the expected contents while
also updating the Content-Length item in the Headers field. It’s a PITA to
put it mildly. I now paste with great caution if the source is a Microsoft
application.

Hope this sheds some light on the question. Not sure what can be done to
remove the extraneous content though.

Keith

View this message in context:
http://old.nabble.com/"Message-body-not-shown-because-it-is-too-large."-tp31155777p32160483.html
Sent from the Request Tracker - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


2011 Training: http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html