Mail and RT

So, we’ve had some weird mail issues with RT. We’re using sendmail on Solaris:

1. if i am a watcher on a ticket, and email is sent to RT about that ticket, RT will send me a copy, unless it determines that i sent the original message. if i was to-ed or cc-ed on the original message, i’ll get that, plus a copy from RT. this is annoying. RT should be able to prune its recipient list using the Cc: and To: headers, just like it does with From:.

2. RT doesn’t seem to give any feedback if a bad address is used for a cc. I’m assuming this is because the mail bounces, and RT doesn’t add information to a ticket if it thinks it’s a bounce. Is there any way to keep the prevention of mail loops as well as giving feedback if there is a bounce?

3. I’ve sat with a user who sent (twice!) a “response” (made sure about that) through the web interface, and the response wasn’t e-mailed out. Is it possible for RT to show whether or not “respond” or “comment” was used on a particular entry? Also, the sendmail logs don’t help – they don’t show a message trying to go out. What might be the problem here?

Note: We have upgraded to MailTools 1.50, the original version was MailTools 1.46.

-Sheeri Kritzer
Systems Administrator
University Systems Group
Tufts University
617-627-3925
sheeri.kritzer@tufts.edu

Clarification: all these problems occurred while we were using MailTools 1.46. I don’t know if they have occurred with 1.50.

-Sheeri Kritzer
Systems Administrator
University Systems Group
Tufts University
617-627-3925
sheeri.kritzer@tufts.edu

Quoting Sheeri Kritzer sheeri.kritzer@tufts.edu: