Mail Aliases


#1

Hey folks, I’m a little confused on just what mail aliases are used
for. Do I need to create a seperate one for each queue?For instance, I
have a queue, called NOC, I add the following to /etc/aliases

NOC: |"/opt/rt/bin/rt-mailgate NOC correspond"

Does this just get used to send stuff to the email address I specified
when creating the queue?

–Chris


#2

Yeah. if you don’t need the mail gateway for a queue, you don’t need the alias.On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 08:35:23PM -0500, Chris Black wrote:

Hey folks, I’m a little confused on just what mail aliases are used
for. Do I need to create a seperate one for each queue?For instance, I
have a queue, called NOC, I add the following to /etc/aliases

NOC: |"/opt/rt/bin/rt-mailgate NOC correspond"

Does this just get used to send stuff to the email address I specified
when creating the queue?

–Chris


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

jesse reed vincent – jrvincent@wesleyan.edujesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91
…realized that the entire structure of the net could be changed to be made
more efficient, elegant, and spontaneously make more money for everyone
involved. It’s a marvelously simple diagram, but this form doesn’t have a way
for me to draw it. It’ll wait. -Adam Hirsch


#3

Hmm, ok, is this possible? RT is running on a seperate linux box, our mail
server is a M$ Exchange server that the I don’t have access too. When
tickets are created in the NOC queue, I want email sent to noc@befree.com
which is the Exchange server account. Is this possible? Do I need the rt
aliases at all if all the email accounts are not hosted on this machine?On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Jesse wrote:

Yeah. if you don’t need the mail gateway for a queue, you don’t need the alias.

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 08:35:23PM -0500, Chris Black wrote:

Hey folks, I’m a little confused on just what mail aliases are used
for. Do I need to create a seperate one for each queue?For instance, I
have a queue, called NOC, I add the following to /etc/aliases

NOC: |"/opt/rt/bin/rt-mailgate NOC correspond"

Does this just get used to send stuff to the email address I specified
when creating the queue?

–Chris


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users


jesse reed vincent – jrvincent@wesleyan.edujesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91

…realized that the entire structure of the net could be changed to be made
more efficient, elegant, and spontaneously make more money for everyone
involved. It’s a marvelously simple diagram, but this form doesn’t have a way
for me to draw it. It’ll wait. -Adam Hirsch


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users


#4

You’ll have to have the exchange server forward those messages to sendmail
on a unix box so they can get into rt.

jesseOn Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 09:07:49AM -0500, Chris Black wrote:

Hmm, ok, is this possible? RT is running on a seperate linux box, our mail
server is a M$ Exchange server that the I don’t have access too. When
tickets are created in the NOC queue, I want email sent to noc@befree.com
which is the Exchange server account. Is this possible? Do I need the rt
aliases at all if all the email accounts are not hosted on this machine?

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Jesse wrote:

Yeah. if you don’t need the mail gateway for a queue, you don’t need the alias.

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 08:35:23PM -0500, Chris Black wrote:

Hey folks, I’m a little confused on just what mail aliases are used
for. Do I need to create a seperate one for each queue?For instance, I
have a queue, called NOC, I add the following to /etc/aliases

NOC: |"/opt/rt/bin/rt-mailgate NOC correspond"

Does this just get used to send stuff to the email address I specified
when creating the queue?

–Chris


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users


jesse reed vincent – jrvincent@wesleyan.edujesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91

…realized that the entire structure of the net could be changed to be made
more efficient, elegant, and spontaneously make more money for everyone
involved. It’s a marvelously simple diagram, but this form doesn’t have a way
for me to draw it. It’ll wait. -Adam Hirsch


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

jesse reed vincent – jrvincent@wesleyan.edujesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91
They’ll take my private key when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!


#5

Jesse jesse@pallas.eruditorum.org writes:

You’ll have to have the exchange server forward those messages

But be aware that Exchange does terrible things to headers when
forwarding mail (in some circumstances). Watch out for that.

gdm