Internet Explorer dies will trying to run search

Server: Red Hat Linux 7.3
Kernel: 2.4.18
RT versioin: 2.0.7

Client machine: Windows XP, SP1
Browser: IE 6, SP1
Java: Sun, Java 1.4.0

When we try to do a search, we get:

The instruction at "0x10004281" referenced memory at "0x00243000". The 

memory could not be “written”.

Click on OK to terminate the program.

I saw something similar in the archives, but the situation is not the
same. That person had some IE add-ins that were the cause of the
problem. That’s not the issue here, the machine is fairly clean, recently
installed from scratch.

OK, having written all that, I went back to check all that was installed on
the machine. Playing around with the Java Control Panel, I disabled Java
for IE, tried it and it worked. I then re-enabled it and it’s still
working. Not trying to waste anybody’s time, just thought it would be
useful to report problems and possible ways to fix them.