Intermittent display of changed Quick Search

Hi,

I’m trying to include stalled tickets in the Quick Search on RT at a Glance.

I’ve followed the advice from the mailing list archives (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=rt
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=rt&do=search_results&sear
ch_forum=forum_3&search_string=quick+search&search_type=AND>
&do=search_results&search_forum=forum_3&search_string=quick+search&search_ty
pe=AND ) and copied Quicksearch from /share/html/Elements to
/local/html/Elements, where a few simple changes were made
(modified Quicksearch attached). I’ve tried with & without ‘chmod 755’ if it
makes a difference.

The changes are only displayed periodically. They’re usually OK when I first
log in, but sometimes page refreshes and returning to the Home page cause
the original Quicksearch table to be displayed. I’m at a loss!!
We’ve only got 4 queues and all SQL queries return < 10 tickets in each
status so I don’t think there’s a problem anywhere other than in RT … but
I could be wrong.

Any help appreciated. TIA

RT v3.4.2 (I know later versions already have what I need but we’re not
looking to upgrade yet)
Perl v5.8.6

Steve

Steve Platt
Bioinformatics Support Co-ordinator
Bioinformatics Unit: Statistics, Modelling & Bioinformatics Department
Center for Infections
Health Protection Agency
61 Colindale Avenue
London
UK
NW9 5EQ
Tel: 0208 327 6618
http://www.hpa.org.uk/srmd/bioinformatics/index.htm
http://www.hpa.org.uk/srmd/bioinformatics/index.htm

Quicksearch (4.02 KB)

Have you deleted mason cache and restarted server?On 4/13/06, Steven Platt Steven.Platt@hpa.org.uk wrote:

Hi,

I’m trying to include stalled tickets in the Quick Search on RT at a Glance.

I’ve followed the advice from the mailing list archives (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=rt&do=search_results&search_forum=forum_3&search_string=quick+search&search_type=AND
) and copied Quicksearch from /share/html/Elements to /local/html/Elements, where a few simple changes were made (modified
Quicksearch attached). I’ve tried with & without ‘chmod 755’ if it makes a
difference.

The changes are only displayed periodically. They’re usually OK when I first
log in, but sometimes page refreshes and returning to the Home page cause
the original Quicksearch table to be displayed. I’m at a loss!!

We’ve only got 4 queues and all SQL queries return < 10 tickets in each
status so I don’t think there’s a problem anywhere other than in RT … but
I could be wrong.

Any help appreciated. TIA

RT v3.4.2 (I know later versions already have what I need but we’re not
looking to upgrade yet)

Perl v5.8.6

Steve

Steve Platt

Bioinformatics Support Co-ordinator

Bioinformatics Unit: Statistics, Modelling & Bioinformatics Department

Center for Infections

Health Protection Agency

61 Colindale Avenue

London

UK

NW9 5EQ

Tel: 0208 327 6618

http://www.hpa.org.uk/srmd/bioinformatics/index.htm


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

We’re hiring! Come hack Perl for Best Practical:
http://bestpractical.com/about/jobs.html

Best regards, Ruslan.

That seems to have done it… I’d restarted the server but not cleared the
cache (doh!)

Thanks Ruslan.

SteveFrom: Ruslan Zakirov [mailto:ruslan.zakirov@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday,13 April 2006 14:14
To: Steven Platt
Cc: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Intermittent display of changed Quick Search

Have you deleted mason cache and restarted server?

Hi,

I’m trying to include stalled tickets in the Quick Search on RT at a
Glance.

I’ve followed the advice from the mailing list archives (

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=rt&do=search_results&searc
h_forum=forum_3&search_string=quick+search&search_type=AND

) and copied Quicksearch from /share/html/Elements to /local/html/Elements, where a few simple changes were made (modified
Quicksearch attached). I’ve tried with & without ‘chmod 755’ if it makes a
difference.

The changes are only displayed periodically. They’re usually OK when I
first
log in, but sometimes page refreshes and returning to the Home page cause
the original Quicksearch table to be displayed. I’m at a loss!!

We’ve only got 4 queues and all SQL queries return < 10 tickets in each
status so I don’t think there’s a problem anywhere other than in RT …
but
I could be wrong.

Any help appreciated. TIA

RT v3.4.2 (I know later versions already have what I need but we’re not
looking to upgrade yet)

Perl v5.8.6

Steve

Steve Platt

Bioinformatics Support Co-ordinator

Bioinformatics Unit: Statistics, Modelling & Bioinformatics Department

Center for Infections

Health Protection Agency

61 Colindale Avenue

London

UK

NW9 5EQ

Tel: 0208 327 6618

http://www.hpa.org.uk/srmd/bioinformatics/index.htm


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

We’re hiring! Come hack Perl for Best Practical:
http://bestpractical.com/about/jobs.html

Best regards, Ruslan.