Installation Problems:


#1

First off the details:

Running RT v1.0.3 on a FreeBSD v3.5-STABLE system.
Apache+SSL+Kerberos httpd.
Perl v5.003 + all the RT required modules.
MySQL on a remote server.

rt user and group created

The problem:

I am having a problem where:

a) When I load up webrt.cgi, or admin-webrt.cgi; it automatically logs me
in and says in the footer message:

“You are currently authenticated as .”

Modifying the account doesn’t work, the username field is uneditable and
is blank. At no point do I ever get a login screen. I thought this could
have been because we have password authentication (via Krb5) on the server
where RT resides. But after removing that restriction for the RT CGI
directory, it still happens.

b) When I add a new RT queue (as root), using:

[root@host] ./rtadmin queue -create

I get a bunch of permission errors:

cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/autoreply: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/comment: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/correspondence: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/error: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/give: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/respond: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/steal: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/transaction: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/web_create: Permission
denied
Queue systems sucessfully created.

Where are they getting the files from (so I can see here the problem
lies).

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Best Wishes - Peter Losher
Peter Losher Peter.Losher@nominum.com
Systems Admin. - Nominum, Inc. PGP key available on request


#2

Did you use gmake (gnu make) to perform the install?On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 04:49:14PM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:

First off the details:

Running RT v1.0.3 on a FreeBSD v3.5-STABLE system.
Apache+SSL+Kerberos httpd.
Perl v5.003 + all the RT required modules.
MySQL on a remote server.

rt user and group created

The problem:

I am having a problem where:

a) When I load up webrt.cgi, or admin-webrt.cgi; it automatically logs me
in and says in the footer message:

“You are currently authenticated as .”

Modifying the account doesn’t work, the username field is uneditable and
is blank. At no point do I ever get a login screen. I thought this could
have been because we have password authentication (via Krb5) on the server
where RT resides. But after removing that restriction for the RT CGI
directory, it still happens.

b) When I add a new RT queue (as root), using:

[root@host] ./rtadmin queue -create

I get a bunch of permission errors:

-=-
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/autoreply: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/comment: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/correspondence: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/error: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/give: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/respond: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/steal: Permission denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/transaction: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/web_create: Permission
denied
Queue systems sucessfully created.
-=-

Where are they getting the files from (so I can see here the problem
lies).

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Best Wishes - Peter Losher

Peter Losher Peter.Losher@nominum.com
Systems Admin. - Nominum, Inc. PGP key available on request


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

jesse reed vincent — root@eruditorum.orgjesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91
I have images of Marc in well worn combat fatigues, covered in mud,
sweat and blood, knife in one hand and PSION int he other, being
restrained by several other people, screaming “Let me at it!
Just let me at it!” Eichin standing calmly by with something
automated, milspec, and likely recoilless.
-xiphmont on opensource peer review


#3

Jesse wrote:

Did you use gmake (gnu make) to perform the install?

I get a bunch of permission errors:

cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/autoreply: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/comment:
Permission denied
(snip)

I ran into exactly the same problem under FreeBSD, and Fergal
came up with the solution.

The permissions on the /usr/local/rt/lib/generic_templates directory
are wrong. You have to chown -R it to rt:rt, chmod 755 the directory,
and 644 the files within. Currently it cannot be read to copy the
generic templates over to the new queue template directory.

You have to do this every time you ‘make upgrade’ or it’ll break
again. I’ve been meaning to patch the Makefile for ages but never
got around to it; ill mail the diff here if/when I do.

Anil Madhavapeddy, anil@recoil.org


#4

I believe you just need to chmod things. the ownership shouldn’t matter.
I just rolled a “beta” relasae. 1.0.4pre2 it’s in
ftp://ftp.fsck.com/pub/rt/devel/rt-1.0.4pre2.tar.gz If someone
who’s having the problem could give this a shot i’d really
appreciate it.

Thanks,
jesseOn Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 01:20:11AM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

Jesse wrote:

Did you use gmake (gnu make) to perform the install?

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 04:49:14PM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:

I get a bunch of permission errors:

cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/autoreply: Permission
denied
cp: /usr/local/rt/etc/templates/queues/systems/comment:
Permission denied
(snip)

I ran into exactly the same problem under FreeBSD, and Fergal
came up with the solution.

The permissions on the /usr/local/rt/lib/generic_templates directory
are wrong. You have to chown -R it to rt:rt, chmod 755 the directory,
and 644 the files within. Currently it cannot be read to copy the
generic templates over to the new queue template directory.

You have to do this every time you ‘make upgrade’ or it’ll break
again. I’ve been meaning to patch the Makefile for ages but never
got around to it; ill mail the diff here if/when I do.


Anil Madhavapeddy, anil@recoil.org


rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com
http://lists.fsck.com/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

jesse reed vincent — root@eruditorum.orgjesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91
Emacs is a pretty good operating system, but Unix has a better editor.


#5

Did you use gmake (gnu make) to perform the install?

Yes, I did use gmake for the install.

gmake -v

GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.

(and thanks to Anil for the permissions correction, I had to make the
destination directory writable to rt as well before it went thru)

So it is just this authentication problem (shown below)…

Best Wishes - Peter> On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 04:49:14PM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:

First off the details:

Running RT v1.0.3 on a FreeBSD v3.5-STABLE system.
Apache+SSL+Kerberos httpd.
Perl v5.003 + all the RT required modules.
MySQL on a remote server.

rt user and group created

The problem:

I am having a problem where:

a) When I load up webrt.cgi, or admin-webrt.cgi; it automatically logs me
in and says in the footer message:

“You are currently authenticated as .”

Modifying the account doesn’t work, the username field is uneditable and
is blank. At no point do I ever get a login screen. I thought this could
have been because we have password authentication (via Krb5) on the server
where RT resides. But after removing that restriction for the RT CGI
directory, it still happens.

Peter Losher Peter.Losher@nominum.com
Systems Admin. - Nominum, Inc. PGP key available on request