How to organize queues? What works for your small office?

We have RT and I love it, but I cannot find a good method for creating queues. I thought I could create at least a helpdesk queue for level 1 tickets, but then I’m at a loss for how to organize the rest. Should I just make another queue for sysadmin tasks and another one for projects? Should I break it down by service or technology used? Right now we have queues for each user (we are a 4 person team) and that is ok, but I’m wishing we had queues organized by priority, workflow, or something else. What works for your small medium office with only one department (IT)?

My approach is creating a new queue when you need some tickets to have different emails templates/custom fields/custom roles/ automatons.

I thought I could create at least a helpdesk queue for level 1 tickets
Should I just make another queue for sysadmin tasks and another one for projects?

Are the sysadmin tickets still support requests? It makes sense to me to make a new queue for projects.

Maybe you could do something like:

Helpdesk -- All users can see these tickets, but you assign an owner from your 4 users to handle the ticket ( They can have a search on their homepage showing their "Active support helpdesk tickets" )

Projects -- New queue

sysadmin/internal stuff -- New queue

Thanks, that is pretty much how I thought about setting things up, too.

I think the queues you generate (and groups that have rights to them) need to follow how your organisation and workflows work. For example our RT has a general “IT Services” service desk queue for first line support, then at least a couple of queues for each team in the department (one for normal tickets passed over from the service desk for 2nd or 3rd line support and one for change requests that uses a different lifecycle). We also have special purpose queues that are set up for specific tasks, projects or cross-team working that might need different/special scrips or groups allocated. And that’s just for IT Services. We also host queues for other organisational units within the University, such as the library, creative & print and the web marketing team. Each of those has its own set of queues that mirror what they want to use and how their bit of the organisation is structured.

2 Likes

We also have special purpose queues that are set up to.

Thanks for sharing this information. It was useful.

Thanks for sharing this approach as it is very efficient and time saving. The previous method which I was using before was not that effective.

1 Like