How forward email to rt in internal network

Er, so you’re running RT on a Windows box under IIS?

No RT is on a linux box I just opened that link in Windows that all

OK, open the URL using a browser on the Linux box (so localhost is the Linux server, not your Windows PC)

OK Done goto the login page but couldn’t login with any account

OK, so that URL is supposed to be in the NoAuth part of your web server set up, so it should return something like “not ok - Couldn’t parse or find sender’s address” when you connect to it from a web browser on the server. If its asking you for a username and password you need to check your web server config to make sure that the NoAuth area isn’t requiring authentication (and preferably limited in which servers can contact it).

Hi
Am looking the web server config to make sure that the NoAuth area isn’t requiring authentication in Apache2 and can’t seam to find it any ideas where it could be
Thanks

Depends on what web server you’re using and your operating system distribution. If it’s Apache you probably want something like this in one of your config files:

<Location /rt/REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway>
        # For Apache 2.4
        <IfVersion >= 2.4>
            Require local
        </IfVersion>
        # For Apache 2.2
        <IfVersion < 2.4>
            Order deny,allow
            Deny from all
            Allow from localhost
            Satisfy any
        </IfVersion>
    </Location>

Hi GreenJim
Just want to say thanks so far for all your help I tried a couple of Apache2 config files Apache2.conf file
but didn’t see anything close to those commands so didn’t place it the then found a file itsupport.joh******.conf did put it in there but the the site went down was able to see it at all so guessing it didn’t below there Any clue which file it so go into Am using Apache2
Thanks
Gary

Sorry, but there’s almost an infinite number of ways you can configure an Apache2 web server so I can’t tell you exactly what file to use and what to put into it. The fact that you’ve got a file called itsupport.johnabbot.conf tends to imply you have a rather custom set up already. You need to find the one that already links the web server to the RT code, so look for one with a path in it that matches where your RT installed.

Remember to make copies of the config files before you start to edit them - always good practice no matter what you are configuting.

Hi GreenJim
Just would like to confirm a couple of things If you don’t mind in aliases have but the following
itsupport: “|/opt/rt5/bin/rt-mailgate --queue General --no-verify-ssl --action correspond --url http://localhost/
Hoping that is correct or should I be changing the http to our web site and not local host but the question which I still don’t understand is how the email gets from office to RT if we forward email to what address do we forward it to Do we have to make an address in RT? and if we do where do we create it? Again any help is appreciated

Thanks
Gary

Your email server should allow you to either forward an email to a domain or an IP address. This means that when outlook 365 receives an email for “itsupport@domain.com” it will send it off over to the RT server.

Then the RT server will decide what to do with the incoming email based on the aliases file:

itsupport: “|/opt/rt5/bin/rt-mailgate --queue General --no-verify-ssl --action correspond --url http://localhost/”

Here we can see “itsupport” will be piped into RT and try to open a ticket in queue General.

Thanks for that One last question Will FetchMail work?

Yeah Fetchmail works so long as basic auth is still available ( It looks like MS deferred retiring it )!

YEAH looks like we got the email working The whole time it was the cert added a couple of lines to the rt-mailgate and all of the email started coming in YEAH finally Thanks for all your help. Next problem looks like the coments from users when then reply to the ticket there comments do not go into the ticket have added the following to the /etc/aliases but no luck are we missing something
General-comment: “|/opt/rt5/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action comment --url http://our web page/”

Does the subject of the email that your users are replying to have the ticket # in it?

Hi Knation
Yes the ticket # is there
Thanks

I would expect so long as the email is piped into RT that the email should end up as a reply or comment on the email, not open a new ticket. Are you seeing a new ticket created when they comment back? If not it could be that users do not have the right to comment on tickets

Thanks above has been fixed On to next problem When I try to send a message to to the requester and hit the reply button am able to reply to the user but when I hit update ticket the user never gets the response Why is that did I miss something?

Thanks
G

How do you have outgoing email setup? I’d assume you have an SMTP relay to outlook. Did you see anything in the mail logs when you try to send a email out?

Funny thing all was working yesterday we still get a notice when we get assign a ticket then when we send nothing not sure what changed only one thing $CorrespondAddress, $CommentAddress