Help with scrip example

Hello all,

I’m hoping someone can point me in a direction.

I’m trying to write a custom scrip that takes emails sent in reply to an RT ticket and merges it into an existing RT ticket. The existing ticket is in a queue. The issue I’m trying to overcome is that when the reply message comes back to RT the subject line is modified to where [tickets.xyz.com #] has been stripped from the subject line and replaced entirely with a new subject line. This then creates a second new ticket.

My thought process around what I want to accomplish,

1.  When the reply comes in, the scrip search the content for [tickets.xyz.com #<ticket number].  I have seen in the reply message that the content contains the ticket number.

2.  The scrip searches the queue for an existing ticket with a matching number to <ticket number> in the reply

3.  Merge the tickets

4.  Send a reply to all requestors in the existing RT ticket.

I haven’t been able to find good documentation on how to write scrip’s. (Like a scrip 101 guide). I’m working off examples of scrip’s from the contributor’s section of the Best practical Wiki, but having troubles.

This isn’t quite what your asking for, but solves the same problem:

http://code.google.com/p/rt-references/

Cheers,
PaulOn 01/31/2011 02:31 PM, Edwards, James wrote:

Hello all,

I’m hoping someone can point me in a direction.

I’m trying to write a custom scrip that takes emails sent in reply to an RT ticket and merges it into an existing RT ticket. The existing ticket is in a queue. The issue I’m trying to overcome is that when the reply message comes back to RT the subject line is modified to where [tickets.xyz.com #] has been stripped from the subject line and replaced entirely with a new subject line. This then creates a second new ticket.

My thought process around what I want to accomplish,

1.  When the reply comes in, the scrip search the content for [tickets.xyz.com #<ticket number].  I have seen in the reply message that the content contains the ticket number.

2.  The scrip searches the queue for an existing ticket with a matching number to <ticket number> in the reply

3.  Merge the tickets

4.  Send a reply to all requestors in the existing RT ticket.

I haven’t been able to find good documentation on how to write scrip’s. (Like a scrip 101 guide). I’m working off examples of scrip’s from the contributor’s section of the Best practical Wiki, but having troubles.