Error When Attempting to *Remove* RT Reply Email Address As Requestor - "ITSupport@domain.org is an address RT receives mail at. Adding it as a 'Requestor' would create a mail loop"

Hiya,

For various reasons, we use an Exchange Online mailbox as a front-end for tickets submitted by email to RT (v.5.0). The mailbox is configured to forward messages received to RT while also retaining a copy for redundancy. In most instances, this works fine and the original sender’s email address is preserved.

However, there’s a mailbox rule set-up to forward voicemails received via email to RT, and those get sent with the RT address as the sender. RT will accept those messages and create a ticket, but when staff go to remove the RT address as the requestor, they get this error:
ITSupport@domain.org is an address RT receives mail at. Adding it as a ‘Requestor’ would create a mail loop”

For a while, we were using both ITSupport@domain.org and rtrobot@rt.domain.org as the reply-to addresses for email from RT, but around the time we upgraded from RT 4.4.4 to RT 5.0, we standardized on the first address for all queues. We also added it to the RT_SiteConfig.pm as:
Set($RTAddressRegexp , ‘(?i)^RTRobot@rtTEST.domain.org$|(?i)ITSupport@domain.org’);

I’m pretty certain removing the address from that regex would resolve the issue, but it would also defeat the purpose of that regex.

Can anybody suggest another way of resolving this issue?

Thanks in advance!

–Maitreya