Error Upgrading RT4.2.8 On Debian

We’re currently running RT 4.2.8 on Debian 8, but since that is about to hit it’s EOL we’re looking at upgrading to Debian 9…Which also gives us access to RT 4.4.x which is nice.

When I try and run “apt-get update” I’m seeing this:

Setting up rt4-apache2 (4.2.8-3+deb8u3) ...
Setting up mysql-client-5.5 (5.5.58-0+deb8u1) ...
Setting up mysql-client (5.5.58-0+deb8u1) ...
Setting up rt4-db-mysql (4.2.8-3+deb8u3) ...
Setting up request-tracker4 (4.2.8-3+deb8u3) ...
**WARNING**  
**WARNING**  If you are using mod_perl or any form of persistent perl
**WARNING**  process such as FastCGI, you will need to restart your
**WARNING**  web server and any persistent processes now.
**WARNING**  
**WARNING**  For mod_perl this means
**WARNING**  
**WARNING**  invoke-rc.d apache2 stop && invoke-rc.d apache2 start
**WARNING**  
Creating temporary script for loading old configuration failed.
dpkg: error processing package request-tracker4 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

And I’m not really sure where to start looking to see what is going on. We’re hoping we can just update the OS via apt-get like we’ve done in other situations. Thoughts?

Check the scripts /var/lib/dpkg/info/request-tracker4.* and search for the error you have seen on terminal.
The script generated by mktemp in package’s config script is not executable.

OK, I see how that lines up now…But is there anything I can do about it? I’m running apt-get as root already, and I don’t think I can manually set the executable bit on the script can I? So this is a package/repo issue?

The script is set to executable here: https://sources.debian.org/src/request-tracker4/4.4.2-2/debian/config/?hl=144#L15

Therefore, I suspect that your /tmp is mounted noexec? You’ll probably need to change this (even if just temporarily) to allow this step to proceed: mount -o remount,exec /tmp.

Good call, I know we have that set on our RHEL systems so probably the same on our Debian ones…I’ll run with that and report back either way, thanx!