Displaying custom fields in default search result columns

Hello all,

using Preferences -> Search options, I can add columns to the default
set that is displayed in RT search results. However, since this
setting is common to all queues, it seems that custom fields specific
to a queue are not listed in the Add Columns section. In other words,
there is no way to always have custom fields display in the search
results for a particular queue. Is this true? If so, is there a way out?

This page: http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/
DefaultSearchResultFormat seems to suggest there may not be (a way
out), but I was hoping newer information might be available.

I am using RT 3.8.4. Thank you,

--ravi

Hello all,

using Preferences -> Search options, I can add columns to the default
set that is displayed in RT search results. However, since this
setting is common to all queues, it seems that custom fields specific
to a queue are not listed in the Add Columns section. In other words,
there is no way to always have custom fields display in the search
results for a particular queue. Is this true? If so, is there a way out?

the only way I now is to edit the savedsearch format itself in
"Advanced" and add the CF manually in the format, then saved again this
search.

CustomField.{cf_name}/TITLE:cf_name’,

Ravi,

You can also change what is shown by altering that search in the
Configure file in /home/etc. I have done that and it works well for all.

Kenn
LBNLOn 10/21/2009 8:42 AM, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:08:32AM -0400, [ ravi ] wrote:

Hello all,

using Preferences -> Search options, I can add columns to the default
set that is displayed in RT search results. However, since this
setting is common to all queues, it seems that custom fields specific
to a queue are not listed in the Add Columns section. In other words,
there is no way to always have custom fields display in the search
results for a particular queue. Is this true? If so, is there a way out?

the only way I now is to edit the savedsearch format itself in
"Advanced" and add the CF manually in the format, then saved again this
search.

CustomField.{cf_name}/TITLE:cf_name’,


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Emmanuel, Ken,

Thank you for your responses. Emmanuel, your idea is great but it
would unfortunately only work for saved searches, yes? Ken, I am not
sure what you mean by the “Configure file in /home/etc”. Do you mean
the actual autoconf files in the source tree? Can you explain? Thank
you,

--raviOn Oct 21, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Ken Crocker wrote:

You can also change what is shown by altering that search in the
Configure file in /home/etc. I have done that and it works well for
all.

Kenn
LBNL

On 10/21/2009 8:42 AM, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:08:32AM -0400, [ ravi ] wrote:

Hello all,

using Preferences -> Search options, I can add columns to the
default
set that is displayed in RT search results. However, since this
setting is common to all queues, it seems that custom fields
specific
to a queue are not listed in the Add Columns section. In other
words,
there is no way to always have custom fields display in the search
results for a particular queue. Is this true? If so, is there a
way out?

the only way I now is to edit the savedsearch format itself in
"Advanced" and add the CF manually in the format, then saved again
this
search.

CustomField.{cf_name}/TITLE:cf_name’,


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Ravi,

In your $home/etc/ directory (this is where RT executes from) there is a
file called “RT_SiteConfig.pm”. In that file, you will see a setting for
the default search results. See Below:

Set ($DefaultSearchResultFormat,
qq{’<AHREF="$RT::WebPath/Ticket/Display.html?id=id">id/TITLE:Ticket
Id’, QueueName,
<AHREF="$RT::WebPath/Ticket/Display.html?id=id">Subject/TITLE:Subject’,
Requestors’, Priority, Status, ‘CustomField.{Work-State}’,
OwnerName, ‘Due/TITLE:Due Date’});

As you can see, I have set ours to include some Custom Fields as well as
dropped a few default fields we did NOT want to see. You should modify
yours accordingly. This will cause ALL search results to have these
fields as the base/defaults fields. You add/delete from this default per
query.

Kenn
LBNLOn 10/21/2009 11:28 AM, [ ravi ] wrote:

Emmanuel, Ken,

Thank you for your responses. Emmanuel, your idea is great but it
would unfortunately only work for saved searches, yes? Ken, I am not
sure what you mean by the “Configure file in /home/etc”. Do you mean
the actual autoconf files in the source tree? Can you explain? Thank
you,

–ravi

On Oct 21, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Ken Crocker wrote:

You can also change what is shown by altering that search in the
Configure file in /home/etc. I have done that and it works well for
all.

Kenn
LBNL

On 10/21/2009 8:42 AM, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:08:32AM -0400, [ ravi ] wrote:

Hello all,

using Preferences -> Search options, I can add columns to the
default
set that is displayed in RT search results. However, since this
setting is common to all queues, it seems that custom fields
specific
to a queue are not listed in the Add Columns section. In other
words,
there is no way to always have custom fields display in the search
results for a particular queue. Is this true? If so, is there a
way out?

the only way I now is to edit the savedsearch format itself in
"Advanced" and add the CF manually in the format, then saved again
this
search.

CustomField.{cf_name}/TITLE:cf_name’,


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com