Depends-on vs. Parents

Hi,

This is probably one of those FAQ’s but I found some ambiguous info on the subject so I thought I ping the community at large:

What are the differences and intended usages of Depends-on vs. Parents for a ticket? I have played with depends-on, where if request A depends on B, A cannot be resolved until B is. This feature serves well in certain scenarios. Then I also see the parent/child thing. Not sure what their intended usages are.

Hi,

This is probably one of those FAQ’s but I found some ambiguous info on the subject so I thought I ping the community at large:

What are the differences and intended usages of Depends-on vs. Parents for a ticket? I have played with depends-on, where if request A depends on B, A cannot be resolved until B is. This feature serves well in certain scenarios. Then I also see the parent/child thing. Not sure what their intended usages are.

A parent can be resolved even if a child is not resolved. Any
other meaning is whatever you decide it means at your site.

-Todd

A more concrete example of what Todd is talking about would go as
follows for us:

A request comes in that there are 2 computers that need to be
configured. One is a replacement, and the other is a new machine.
Since one is a new machine, we will need to make sure there is an active
network drop.

Ticket 1146 (original ticket): Set up both new machines and arrange
delivery of the replacement
|___ Ticket 1147 (child of 1146, depends on 1148 below): Get location
for the new machine
|___ Ticket 1148 (in queue “Activations”): Check for a network
drop. Activate if found, Drop a new one if necessary

With the parent/child relationships, 1146 can be resolved when the first
machine is delivered, but 1147 requires 1148 to be completed.

DB

Todd Chapman wrote:>On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 08:55:38AM -0800, Pei Ku wrote:

Hi,

A parent can be resolved even if a child is not resolved. Any
other meaning is whatever you decide it means at your site.

-Todd

The rt-users Archives

RT Administrator and Developer training is coming to your town soon! (Boston, San Francisco, Austin, Sydney) Contact training@bestpractical.com for details.

Be sure to check out the RT Wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com