Custom Fields (Applies to Ticket Transactions) - not saving at ticket level

Hi all,

I’m obviously missing something. I have created a number of custom fields and set them as applying to “Ticket Transactions”, on the expectation that these would allow me to capture ticket data that I could both report on and update over a period of time. However, I notice that any data I captured against these is not being ‘saved’ against the ticket.

I am getting the impression that, even though it’s called “Ticket Transactions”, it’s not actually capturing the data at the ticket level and that my only option might be to put all these Custom Fields as applying to “Tickets”. This option isn’t desirable as there will now be over 20 Custom Fields on one page - quite overwhelming. As this group of cf’s are designed to capture process steps taken by our Customer Services staff in resolving a ticket (also capture notes and file attachments at stages), they provide a prompter as to what step is next in the resolution process and what stage the ticket is at.

Does anyone know of another way of separating the main ticket entry cf’s (Meta data) from the transactional/workflow cf’s?

Many thanks and kind regards

Jo

Jo Keown, MBusAdmin(Mgt), MIPA
IS Business Analyst
Colorado Group Ltd
100 Melbourne Street
South Brisbane QLD 4101
Ph: +61 7 3877 3399
Mobile: 0402 697 351
Email: joanne.keown@coloradogroup.com.aumailto:joanne.keown@coloradogroup.com.au

[cid:image001.png@01CC4076.BBA87600]http://www.dianaferrari.com.au/[cid:image002.png@01CC4076.BBA87600]http://www.williamstheshoemen.com.au/[cid:image003.png@01CC4076.BBA87600]http://www.colorado.com.au/[cid:image004.png@01CC4076.BBA87600]http://www.jag.com.au/[cid:image005.png@01CC4076.BBA87600]http://www.mathers.com.au/
[cid:image006.jpg@01CC4076.BBA87600]http://www.fusioncard.com.au/ Sign up to FUSIONhttp://www.fusioncard.com.au/ now for special member offers at 5 of Australia’s leading fashion brands.

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and destroy any copies.

No part of this email may be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written permission of the owner of the copyright or other intellectual property in it.

COLORADO group does not accept liability for loss or damage caused by this email, for example by a computer virus or arising from data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or any other thing.

I’m obviously missing something. I have created a number of custom fields and set them as
applying to “Ticket Transactions”, on the expectation that these would allow me to capture
ticket data that I could both report on and update over a period of time. However, I notice
that any data I captured against these is not being `saved’ against the ticket.

Ticket Transaction Custom Fields apply to Ticket Transactions.
They’re displayed inline in the ticket history between the header and
the content of the transaction.

If you want to save it against the ticket, you want Ticket Custom
Fields.

You cannot search on Transaction Custom Fields, however all the data
is available in the Database.

-kevin

I’m obviously missing something. I have created a number of custom
fields and set them as
applying to “Ticket Transactions”, on the expectation that these
would allow me to capture
ticket data that I could both report on and update over a period of
time. However, I notice
that any data I captured against these is not being `saved’ against
the ticket.

They’re displayed inline in the ticket history between the header and
the content of the transaction.

If you want to save it against the ticket, you want Ticket Custom
Fields.

You cannot search on Transaction Custom Fields, however all the data
is available in the Database.

This explains why I have not been able to get this to work. :slight_smile:

I am trying to figure out some way of tagging specific transactions. I
have users who upload specific documents, or make specific comments, that
need to be tagged a certain way. For example, one of our engineers might
upload a cost estimate to a ticket. I want that transaction to be tagged
as a cost estimate, so we can find it later on.

Is there any way to do that? I don’t want to rely on file names, as this
gets dicey. Any way to add a tag to a transaction that is searchable?

Thanks Kevin.

Does anyone know of a more elegant way of dealing with that number of Tickets? Because I have to put all my CF’s applying to “Tickets”, I have over 20 CF’s to deal with. It would be nice to be able to arrange/group them on the screen so that the workflow is a bit more elegant.

Would love some hints if anyone has achieved this.

PS: Hi Yan; I have just moved all my “Upload” CF’s as applying to Tickets as well. I can now find these against the relevant ticket. But, as I said above, it’s pretty messy and difficult to deal with.

Kind regards
Jo

IS Business Analyst
Colorado Group Ltd
100 Melbourne Street
South Brisbane QLD 4101
Email: joanne.keown@coloradogroup.com.au

Sign up to FUSION now for special member offers at 5 of Australia’s leading fashion brands.From: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Falcone
Sent: Wednesday, 13 July 2011 8:01 AM
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Custom Fields (Applies to Ticket Transactions) - not saving at ticket level

I’m obviously missing something. I have created a number of custom fields and set them as
applying to “Ticket Transactions”, on the expectation that these would allow me to capture
ticket data that I could both report on and update over a period of time. However, I notice

They’re displayed inline in the ticket history between the header and the content of the transaction.

If you want to save it against the ticket, you want Ticket Custom Fields.

You cannot search on Transaction Custom Fields, however all the data is available in the Database.

-kevin

I am getting the impression that, even though it’s called “Ticket Transactions”, it’s not
actually capturing the data at the ticket level and that my only option might be to put all
these Custom Fields as applying to “Tickets”. This option isn’t desirable as there will now
be over 20 Custom Fields on one page - quite overwhelming. As this group of cf’s are designed
to capture process steps taken by our Customer Services staff in resolving a ticket (also
capture notes and file attachments at stages), they provide a prompter as to what step is next
in the resolution process and what stage the ticket is at.

Does anyone know of another way of separating the main ticket entry cf’s (Meta data) from the
transactional/workflow cf’s?

This explains why I have not been able to get this to work. :slight_smile:

I am trying to figure out some way of tagging specific transactions. I
have users who upload specific documents, or make specific comments, that
need to be tagged a certain way. For example, one of our engineers might
upload a cost estimate to a ticket. I want that transaction to be tagged
as a cost estimate, so we can find it later on.

Is there any way to do that? I don’t want to rely on file names, as this
gets dicey. Any way to add a tag to a transaction that is searchable?

I can think of a bit of a hack; you could have a scrip which notices such transactions, and adds the transaction ID to a ticket level custom field. You can then search on that custom field, and probably do something to make the results a clickable link to the transaction in question.

Tim

The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

Does anyone know of a more elegant way of dealing with that number of
Tickets? Because I have to put all my CF’s applying to “Tickets”, I
have over 20 CF’s to deal with. It would be nice to be able to
arrange/group them on the screen so that the workflow is a bit more
elegant.

Some folks use overlays to separate them.

You can order them in the Admin UI.

RT4 added a lot more css and html changes to make this easier, but
still no grouping.

-kevin

Hi Kevin,
Thanks very much for the below.

BTW, does anyone know if the RT user manual (RT Essentials) been updated for RT4?

Kind regards
Jo

IS Business Analyst
Colorado Group Ltd
100 Melbourne Street
South Brisbane QLD 4101

Sign up to FUSION now for special member offers at 5 of Australia’s leading fashion brands.From: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Falcone
Sent: Thursday, 14 July 2011 12:26 AM
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Custom Fields (Applies to Ticket Transactions) - not saving at ticket level

Does anyone know of a more elegant way of dealing with that number of
Tickets? Because I have to put all my CF’s applying to “Tickets”, I
have over 20 CF’s to deal with. It would be nice to be able to
arrange/group them on the screen so that the workflow is a bit more
elegant.

Some folks use overlays to separate them.

You can order them in the Admin UI.

RT4 added a lot more css and html changes to make this easier, but still no grouping.

-kevin

Would love some hints if anyone has achieved this.

PS: Hi Yan; I have just moved all my “Upload” CF’s as applying to Tickets as well. I can now find these against the relevant ticket. But, as I said above, it’s pretty messy and difficult to deal with.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Kevin
Falcone
Sent: Wednesday, 13 July 2011 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Custom Fields (Applies to Ticket Transactions)

• not saving at ticket level

They’re displayed inline in the ticket history between the header and the content of the transaction.

If you want to save it against the ticket, you want Ticket Custom Fields.

You cannot search on Transaction Custom Fields, however all the data is available in the Database.

-kevin

I am getting the impression that, even though it’s called “Ticket Transactions”, it’s not
actually capturing the data at the ticket level and that my only option might be to put all
these Custom Fields as applying to “Tickets”. This option isn’t desirable as there will now
be over 20 Custom Fields on one page - quite overwhelming. As this group of cf’s are designed
to capture process steps taken by our Customer Services staff in resolving a ticket (also
capture notes and file attachments at stages), they provide a prompter as to what step is next
in the resolution process and what stage the ticket is at.

Does anyone know of another way of separating the main ticket entry cf’s (Meta data) from the
transactional/workflow cf’s?

BTW, does anyone know if the RT user manual (RT Essentials) been updated for RT4?

O’Reilly commissions new editions based on demand. Writing to them to
express your interest is probably the easiest thing to do.

Luckily, many of the example configurations and basic concepts still
apply in RT4, even if the screenshots are older.

-kevin

Thanks Kevin, will do.

Kind regards

Jo

IS Business Analyst
Colorado Group Ltd
100 Melbourne Street
South Brisbane QLD 4101

Sign up to FUSION now for special member offers at 5 of Australia’s leading fashion brands.-----Original Message-----
From: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Falcone
Sent: Tuesday, 19 July 2011 12:54 AM

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:50:25AM +1000, Joanne Keown wrote:

O’Reilly commissions new editions based on demand. Writing to them to express your interest is probably the easiest thing to do.

Luckily, many of the example configurations and basic concepts still apply in RT4, even if the screenshots are older.

-kevin