We’re in the process of upgrading from 3.2 to 3.8, and one of the
things I’ve been asked to do is provide a technical comparison between
the two versions as well as a summary of benefits for upgrading.
Performance is a major issue for our installation, and I know that’s
been specifically addressed with the 3.4 and 3.6 releases. Here’s a
version I’ve come up with, though I’m sure I don’t know all the new
features in 3.8.
- brings much improved performance due to better database design
- the “portlets” on the home page.
- new reporting features (RSS, iCal, reminders, Dashboards)
- a new and improved design
- dashboards - a kind of personalized reporting
- more callbacks to add our customizations
- can take advantage of community-generated features & customizations
- more bug fixes than you can shake a stick at
- improved user customization & preferences
Are there any other major points I’ve missed? I’d especially be
interested in reporting and new features.