Categories

On our old helpdesk (hand written php/mysql setup) we had different categories that a ticket could be put into. The choices were like:

Phone
New user
virus
etc…

We have set up RT with a main queue that the ticket then gets routed to either one of two sub queues as we have two different I.T. groups in our agency. Instead of setting up a queue for each category what would be the best way to be able to check categories for stats? I was thinking keywords/hashtags in the resolution. Anyone else have ideas or pointers?

Donny B.

We use two custom fields – one for a category like you have listed (a multi-select list), and one for the requesting department (single-select drop-down), also for statistical tracking.

Cheers,
Mike-----Original Message-----
From: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Donny Brooks
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:03 AM
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] Categories

On our old helpdesk (hand written php/mysql setup) we had different categories that a ticket could be put into. The choices were like:

Phone
New user
virus
etc…

We have set up RT with a main queue that the ticket then gets routed to either one of two sub queues as we have two different I.T. groups in our agency. Instead of setting up a queue for each category what would be the best way to be able to check categories for stats? I was thinking keywords/hashtags in the resolution. Anyone else have ideas or pointers?

Donny B.

We use kind of the same idea here. We have an offsite/contract level 1 desk that charges per incident and type. We have created a custom field called “TAG” with the valid resolution type. The search can then be done from the Simple Search by using “cf.TAG:value”

Tools > Configuration > Custom Fields > Create will get you to the setup.

Matt Brister - Sr. Desktop Support Analyst (mbrister@talentwise.commailto:mbrister@talentwise.com)
O: (425)492-8281
C: (425)533-5714-----Original Message-----
From: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@mdah.state.ms.usmailto:Donny%20Brooks%20<dbrooks@mdah.state.ms.us>>
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.commailto:rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] Categories
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:02:31 -0500

Phone
New user
virus
etc…