Blank Web page when clicking on some queues in RT 3.8.1

Greetings.

I am running RT 3.8.1 on an Ubuntu server (specs below). I just upgraded
from 3.6. Unfortunately, I am a Linux novice - so, my apologies in advance.
Here is the situation:

I have 4 queues. I created 2 User Groups. I am a member of the IT Group. I
have granted the IT Group every right available. I am also a member of the
AdminCC group on the DBA Queue (along with my DBA). Now, when I click on his
queue, I get a blank screen - literally an empty Web page. The URL string
appears correct in the Address bar, but there is no content on the page. At
that point, when I click the Back button, or close the browser and reopen -
the screen stays blank as long as anything that begins with my RT URL
remains in the address bar. (I do not have a problem browsing to other Web
pages, like Google - it’s just the RT instance that I can no longer view). I
figured out that if I go into FireFox settings (I’m running FF 3, btw) and
delete the cookie, I can then go back to my RT instance, log in and continue
(as long as I don’t go to his queue). Interestingly, he has the same problem
if he clicks on the IT queue. We can both view the default “General” queue
just fine.

I’m really stumped. I just upgraded last night - and I should note that
these problems did not exist before then. I struggled to get the update
complete (just because I’m such a Linux newbie) - but am extremely excited
about the new look/feel. The only other anomoly I noticed is that I’m
logging in more than I ever have before - for one example, sometimes if I
click on the Configuration Page, I have to login before it takes me there -
etc. I never had to do that before. This leads me to believe that these
problems are related to authentication, but I have no idea where to begin.

Server Info:

  • Ubuntu: 7.0.4 fiesty
  • Apache: 2.2.3
  • Perl: 5.8.8
  • MySQL: 5.0.38-Ubuntu_0ubuntu1-log Ubuntu 7.04 distribution
  • I have not enabled the GUI and do not intend to do so
  • When I ran the configuration, I changed the prefix to /opt/rt3.8/

Thanks so much for you time - I sincerely appreciate it!
-Chris

Some additional information:

This is really confusing - I apologize in advance:

The blank Web page scenario is not confined to clicking on a queue. In fact,
I can now click on all queues without seeing this behavior - I have no idea
what’s different (other than I have rebooted my own machine - since it’s
been over the weekend). My DBA can also view all queues. However, the
problem persists at other spots - for example, when sorting a queue. If I
sort my own queue, I am taken to a blank screen. I can hit the back button
once, and then if I select a link from that screen (like if I try to open a
ticket), I get the login prompt - then I am taken to the ticket. If I try to
sort the DBA queue, I am taken to the blank page and even though I can hit
the back button once, I cannot click any links - they all take me to a blank
Web page with no content. I have to remove the cookie to continue.

The blank Web pages have absolutely no content - View Source produces a
blank page. Interestingly, the Status link looks malformed - here it is:

http://myserver/rt/Search/Results.html?Format= %20%20%20'<b><a%20href%3D"__WebPath__%2FTicket%2FDisplay.html%3Fid%3D__id__">__id__<%2Fa><%2Fb>%2FTITLE%3A%23'%2C %20%20%20'<b><a%20href%3D"__WebPath__%2FTicket%2FDisplay.html%3Fid%3D__id__">__Subject__<%2Fa><%2Fb>%2FTITLE%3ASubject'%2C %20%20%20Status%2C %20%20%20QueueName%2C%20 %20%20%20OwnerName%2C%20 %20%20%20Priority%2C%20 %20%20%20'__NEWLINE__'%2C %20%20%20''%2C%20 %20%20%20'<small>__Requestors__<%2Fsmall>'%2C %20%20%20'<small>__CreatedRelative__<%2Fsmall>'%2C %20%20%20'<small>__ToldRelative__<%2Fsmall>'%2C %20%20%20'<small>__LastUpdatedRelative__<%2Fsmall>'%2C %20%20%20'<small>__TimeLeft__<%2Fsmall>'&Order=ASC&OrderBy=Status&Page=1&Query=Queue%20%3D%20'dba'%20AND%20(Status%20%3D%20'open'%20OR%20Status%20%3D%20'new'%20OR%20Status%20%3D%20'stalled')&Rows=50

Any ideas what’s happening? My initial thoughts were that it was permission
related - like I was trying to access something that I just didn’t have
rights to (I should have rights to everything in the system, but that
doesn’t mean I’ve properly configured it :slight_smile: ). I’ve searched all through the
wiki and the listserv and don’t see anything obvious.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-ChrisOn Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Chris Nelson cnelson@delivra.com wrote:

Greetings.

I am running RT 3.8.1 on an Ubuntu server (specs below). I just upgraded
from 3.6. Unfortunately, I am a Linux novice - so, my apologies in advance.
Here is the situation:

I have 4 queues. I created 2 User Groups. I am a member of the IT Group. I
have granted the IT Group every right available. I am also a member of the
AdminCC group on the DBA Queue (along with my DBA). Now, when I click on his
queue, I get a blank screen - literally an empty Web page. The URL string
appears correct in the Address bar, but there is no content on the page. At
that point, when I click the Back button, or close the browser and reopen -
the screen stays blank as long as anything that begins with my RT URL
remains in the address bar. (I do not have a problem browsing to other Web
pages, like Google - it’s just the RT instance that I can no longer view). I
figured out that if I go into FireFox settings (I’m running FF 3, btw) and
delete the cookie, I can then go back to my RT instance, log in and continue
(as long as I don’t go to his queue). Interestingly, he has the same problem
if he clicks on the IT queue. We can both view the default “General” queue
just fine.

I’m really stumped. I just upgraded last night - and I should note that
these problems did not exist before then. I struggled to get the update
complete (just because I’m such a Linux newbie) - but am extremely excited
about the new look/feel. The only other anomoly I noticed is that I’m
logging in more than I ever have before - for one example, sometimes if I
click on the Configuration Page, I have to login before it takes me there -
etc. I never had to do that before. This leads me to believe that these
problems are related to authentication, but I have no idea where to begin.

Server Info:

  • Ubuntu: 7.0.4 fiesty
  • Apache: 2.2.3
  • Perl: 5.8.8
  • MySQL: 5.0.38-Ubuntu_0ubuntu1-log Ubuntu 7.04 distribution
  • I have not enabled the GUI and do not intend to do so
  • When I ran the configuration, I changed the prefix to /opt/rt3.8/

Thanks so much for you time - I sincerely appreciate it!
-Chris

Can you post your RT_Siteconfig and the output. From your rt.log please-----Original Message-----
From: “Chris Nelson” cnelson@delivra.com

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:01:59
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Blank Web page when clicking on some queues in RT
3.8.1

http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Thanks for the response. I can’t find the file called rt.log. I’ve done a
locate for it and it doesn’t show up - might it be called something else? (I
would not have changed it’s default value on purpose).

Here is my RT_SiteConfig.pm file (where I’ve only changed the db info so it
doesn’t have my pw).

Any configuration directives you include here will override

RT’s default configuration file, RT_Config.pm

To include a directive here, just copy the equivalent statement

from RT_Config.pm and change the value. We’ve included a single

sample value below.

This file is actually a perl module, so you can include valid

perl code, as well.

The converse is also true, if this file isn’t valid perl, you’re

going to run into trouble. To check your SiteConfig file, use

this comamnd:

perl -c /path/to/your/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm

THE BASICS:

Set($rtname, ‘IT.RT’);
Set($Organization, ‘corp.delivra.com’);

Set($CorrespondAddress , ‘Mrs.Stanwyk@delivra.com’);
Set($CommentAddress , ‘Mrs.Stanwyk-comment@delivra.com’);

Set($Timezone , ‘East/UnitedStates’); # obviously choose what suits you

THE DATABASE:

Set($DatabaseType, ‘mysql’); # e.g. Pg or mysql

These are the settings we used above when creating the RT database,

you MUST set these to what you chose in the section above.

Set($DatabaseUser , ‘rtuser’);
Set($DatabasePassword , ‘######’);
Set($DatabaseName , ‘tickets’);

THE WEBSERVER:

Set($WebPath , “/rt”);
Set($WebBaseURL , “http://mrs-stanwyk.corp.delivra.com”);

Set($DatabaseHost , ‘localhost’);
Set($DatabaseRTHost , ‘localhost’);
@MailPlugins = qw(Auth::MailFrom Filter::TakeAction);
1;On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM, chaim.rieger@gmail.com wrote:

Can you post your RT_Siteconfig and the output. From your rt.log please

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: “Chris Nelson” cnelson@delivra.com

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:01:59
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Blank Web page when clicking on some queues in RT
3.8.1


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Chris Nelson wrote:

Thanks for the response. I can’t find the file called rt.log. I’ve done
a locate for it and it doesn’t show up - might it be called something
else? (I would not have changed it’s default value on purpose).

rt.log is only created is you tell rt to log to a specified rt log file

set it up to debug to /rt/install/path/var/log/rt.log

in RT_SIteConfig.pm

restart apache

then do a few operations and post what the log has to say

I’m sorry for being such a newbie. I’ve searched all over and can’t seem to
figure out how to enable logging. I went into RT_SiteConfig.pm and added
these lines:

#Logging
Set($LogToFileNamed , ‘/opt/rt3.8/etc/rt.log’);
Set($LogToSyslog , ‘debug’);

Then I changed the permissions for rt.log to be -rw-rw-rw. I added a line at
the top of the file: #started on 9/8/2008. I then restarted apache. Playing
around inside the interface produces nothing in that file. I’m not sure I’m
doing it right.

Thanks for your continued patience!
-ChrisOn Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Chaim Rieger chaim.rieger@gmail.com wrote:

Chris Nelson wrote:

Thanks for the response. I can’t find the file called rt.log. I’ve done a
locate for it and it doesn’t show up - might it be called something else? (I
would not have changed it’s default value on purpose).

rt.log is only created is you tell rt to log to a specified rt log file

set it up to debug to /rt/install/path/var/log/rt.log

in RT_SIteConfig.pm

restart apache

then do a few operations and post what the log has to say