Best way to make one custom field change, based on entry in another, using a many to one scenario

Hi All,

New RT user here (v4.01), firstly thanks for such a complete open source product, very impressed and grateful.

I’ve done some RTFM/RTFW and seen how to set one custom field based on the entry of another however, I have want a many to one relationship to exist between the orginal custom field (call it CF1) and the one I wish to auto set (call it CF2).

I’m guessing I could manually handle the one to many, by making a perl (dictionary/pair??) array (sorry if terminology is hopeless, no recent perl experience either). And then set CF2 based on this lookup. But I would prefer to be able to

a) Create a lookup table in RT and give queue admins the right to CRUD it

a. Is there a mechanism/extension in RT4 to do this?

b) Is there also a mechanism of external lookup tables to be queried in the RT schema without kludging in some manual DBI:: into the scrip.

Or is there a better way entirely??

To set the scene, I’m after a user being able to set the newspaper masthead they work for via a populated dropdown custom field, many mastheads may map to one database, and one terminal server so something like

Masthead,Database
Border Mail, RegionalDB
Ballarat Courier, REgionalDB
SMH, MetroDB
TheAge, MetroDB
Mercury, MetroDB

CF1 would be where you select the masthead, CF2 would result in showing the associated Database.

Note that there could be hundreds, and they may change regularly hence the desire to provide some sort of CRUD interface rather than hand coding it within a Scrip.

Any suggestions/pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

Roger Lockerbie
IT Special Projects Manager
Fairfax Media
1 McKoy St, Wodonga VIC 3690
T 02 6024 0677 | M 0419 224 383 | F 02 6024 0606
rlockerbie@fairfaxmedia.com.aumailto:rlockerbie@fairfaxmedia.com.au | www.fairfaxmedia.com.auhttp://www.theage.com.au/

[cid:image001.png@01CC42E7.F0EA0950]

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.

To set the scene, I’m after a user being able to set the newspaper masthead they work for via
a populated dropdown custom field, many mastheads may map to one database, and one terminal
server so something like

Masthead,Database
Border Mail, RegionalDB
SMH, MetroDB
TheAge, MetroDB
Mercury, MetroDB

CF1 would be where you select the masthead, CF2 would result in showing the associated
Database.

Note that there could be hundreds, and they may change regularly hence the desire to provide
some sort of CRUD interface rather than hand coding it within a Scrip.

You may be able to do some of what you want with Linked customfields
and/or external custom fields. You should see the linking mechanism
in the Admin UI when you have a select one custom field, and you can
find external custom fields documentation in the docs directory.

-kevin

Kevin

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll go an have a look.

Regards

RogerOn 19/07/2011, at 12:58 AM, “Kevin Falcone” falcone@bestpractical.com wrote:

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:13:52PM +1000, Roger Lockerbie wrote:

To set the scene, I’m after a user being able to set the newspaper masthead they work for via
a populated dropdown custom field, many mastheads may map to one database, and one terminal
server so something like

Masthead,Database
Border Mail, RegionalDB
SMH, MetroDB
TheAge, MetroDB
Mercury, MetroDB

CF1 would be where you select the masthead, CF2 would result in showing the associated
Database.

Note that there could be hundreds, and they may change regularly hence the desire to provide
some sort of CRUD interface rather than hand coding it within a Scrip.

You may be able to do some of what you want with Linked customfields
and/or external custom fields. You should see the linking mechanism
in the Admin UI when you have a select one custom field, and you can
find external custom fields documentation in the docs directory.

-kevin

2011 Training: http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.