Basic Install failing at `make initialize-database`

Hi all,

I am very new to this, I have followed the instructions here CentOS7Install - Request Tracker Wiki

I have googled, looked all over this wiki and found nothing to fix the issue.

Is the User rt_user made during install? postgres password was changed to password

[root@localhost rt-4.4.2]# make initialize-database
/usr/bin/perl -I/opt/rt4/local/lib -I/opt/rt4/lib sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to connect to your  Pg instance on localhost                 (port '') as postgres
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no database
password, just press return.

Password: 
Working with:
Type:	Pg
Host:	localhost
Port:	
Name:	rt4
User:	rt_user
DBA:	postgres
Failed to connect to dbi:Pg:dbname=template1;host=localhost as user 'postgres': FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255
[root@localhost rt-4.4.2]#

System Specs

[root@localhost rt-4.4.2]# hostnamectl
Static hostname: localhost.localdomain
Icon name: computer-vm
Chassis: vm
Machine ID: abb0e7cd5e474b8fa6ceb9e4e85124cf
Boot ID: a5d8b1a4ffa74fc9a6629c8a0962f0ce
Virtualization: vmware
Operating System: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:centos:centos:7
Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64
[root@localhost rt-4.4.2]#   

Any help is hugely appreciated

Thank you

Les

Unfortunately this part is dependent on how postgres auth is set up so its hard to document in the installation instructions because it varies so much. Note the error message:

FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user “postgres”

I assume you just pressed return here? You’ll have to either make sure you provide the correct credentials, or reconfigure postgres auth to allow this to work without entering a password while also not opening a security hole in your system.

EDIT: there are a couple threads discussing the same thing that have come up in the last few days, you can probably find the answers you are looking for in those.

I’ve also recently hit this issue. In my case it was due to bad thinking I’ve changed the password for user postgres :slight_smile: Then I realized that I forgot to put ‘;’ at the end of the password alter command. Postgres seemed like OK but there was no message about the password update. And of course the ‘make initialize-database’ failed on bad password. If you do the password change correctly, postgres should tell you “ALTER ROLE” message.